Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #21

Re: Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?

Getting back to the orginal question: "Do you carry a handgun when you camp?"

No, I do not

My question back to you is: Would you use it on someone?

But I do like the idea of pepper spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
In talking to some Sportsmobile owners I've heard some say they carry a handgun or other weapon in their Sportsmobile whenever they boondock camp, particularly in the desert Southwest because of the possibility of coming across meth labs, drug dealers or illegal alien smugglers. I have camped in some very remote areas where, if someone wanted to, they could easily bump me off and steal my Sportsmobile. So the thought of personal protection has often crossed my mind.

Yesterday I attended a handgun safety course and was told it is illegal in California (where I do a lot of camping) to carry a weapon anywhere in a vehicle other than in a locked box that is not in the passenger area and the ammo must be kept separate from the gun. This got me wondering: If you do carry a handgun or weapon in your Sportsmobile when you camp, 1) where do you carry it, 2) is it loaded and 3) do you have a concealed weapons permit? Also, are there areas where you camp where you do carry your weapon and areas where you don't.

I want to be safe when I camp, but I also don't want to go to jail.

Your thoughts?

LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #22

Not asked here, but what about a rifle or carbine (usually a short rifle)?
Hunters are seen with hunting rifles in their gun rack on many occasions.

Don't different laws apply between the two? (handgun vs rifle)

9mm carbine here.
You could actually defend yourself from a predator, easier.
Thinking animals here.

Haven't I heard that if any alcohol is in your system your use of a firearm is not valid?
(In self defense use upon another person, seen as impairment?)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDoggy

No, I do not

>>>In camp?
...you bet, provided it's legal.

>>>Would I use it on someone?
...yes, and I have used a weapon to protect myself on two different occasions only one time I used an SKS the other time was a hand gun.

Would I feel good about it...HELL NO and will do almost anything to avoid it. Most of the time it takes great restraint to keep from pulling the trigger but it's all in keeping a proper state of mind. That is hard to do for some people and some should shy away from guns. It is a heck of a lot easier to shoot someone with a Taser or pepper spray. WCS, your weapon is taken away from you and used against you or your family.

A good pump shotgun might be a better choice for some...the sound alone may run off a bad guy.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #24

"vehicle scanners at border"

Whaaa?? What is this? I've never heard of a vehicle scanner. It is something that could detect a hidden handgun?

Hypothetically speaking:

I might often carry a handgun when camping. I would keep it loaded and put away in a buckled holster that covers the trigger and has a strap behind the hammer. It would not be locked up, and i would not unload it when i travel. I live in Oregon. I'm not sure of the specifics here, but things are pretty relaxed compared to CA.

I'm with Jage, I'd rather have a gun illegally when i need it, than have a uselessly legal one. That said, i would not use it unless the safety of me/family is threatened. It is not for use when only property is at risk.

I really like the idea of long-range bear spray. I'm going to have to get some of those. I think even the sight of a gun has the potential to escalate a situation into something worse than it might have been. But if you really need one, there is no substitute. I hope I never really need one.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #25

Garage

One of the reasons my wife and I are getting out of the tent and back into camper vans is that feeling of security with steel around us. Not to mention being able to drive away...
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDoggy

No, I do not

Firing a weapon in self-defense or defense of my family would be easy for me (former combat soldier). I'm more concerned about not firing the handgun and using other means to get out of the situation (as has been discussed by others here) if I had a handgun with me. I'm afraid it would be too easy to use it rather than seeking a lesser resolution to the problem. Pepper spray may be a better idea, but if you use it you'd better be accurate and it better be enough of a spray to take out an aggressor. I've seen some people who have been sprayed in the face with pepper spray and it just makes them more angry and violent. When facing a bear (or a bear of a human), the worst thing you can do is piss him off more.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #27

Carry a weapon? Yes. Obey the law? Yes.

California is always sticky but outside California, the best advice I can give is to get your self a Utah Concealed Carry Permit. Yes, you can get a UTAH permit even if you don't live in Utah and it has the most reciprocal state agreements. Most gun clubs offer the course and you then you mail in for it.

What weapon do I carry and where? Well that is on a need to know basis and only I need to know.

If anybody else carries.. remember guns and alcohol don't mix, guns and kids don't mix and if you have never had any formal firearms training, shooting a person is easy in the movies but much harder in real life. A lot of people get shot and killed with their own guns.
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I just want to go camping!

Try smiling and saying thank you.

Ron
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #29

Garage

Back to the original question,yes we always carry a handgun while camping or traveling.When traveling in California we just keep it out of sight.Remember it is better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I know people who left California over not being able to carry, despite being legal, law abiding citizens.

Yes Jage, you are, in fact, correct. Some people have left Kalifornia over not being able to carry. We now live in lovely Idaho.

And to answer the original question of the topic - "Do You Carry a Handgun When You Camp?" the very simple answer is.......ALWAYS.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote