Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Do you have a spare tire>

Can you change a flat with the tools in you van?

Thought about this today as I rotated tires using the jack and tools I carry in the van. I could drag an air hose out from the shop and use an impact wrench, but it only takes an hour to do a five tire rotation, I know I have enough for a flat change and I need the exercise.

Back to the original question: If you can't change it with the tools you carry, do you have the spare for the AAA truck driver?

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

I carry enough tools to do most repairs and maintenance as needed. I also carry a bottle jack that can lift the van with no problem.
Oh yeah a spare tire also, but I'd rather plug the tire instead of removing it.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Site Team

My spare tire travels with me everyday, is about 33" in diameter, and is hidden by my pants and a belt.

Herb
Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
My spare tire travels with me everyday, is about 33" in diameter, and is hidden by my pants and a belt.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the laugh Herb! Right there with ya but my Levi's say 34.

I currently have two sets of tools to change tires on my van with a single spare on the back door, along with a complete set of tools to do almost any repair short of welding. Who was it that questioned my "two is one, one is none" statement? Some of that might change this Friday when my lift kit is installed. Was checking out bigger/taller bottle jacks the other day.

Also have AAA Premium, which will tow an "RV".
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

I have a dedicated full set of tools that never leaves the van including an electrical repair set. Bailing wire, duct tape and super tape round out the tool set. I have the stock Ford jack but also added a 6 ton bottle jack kit with base and accessories from Safe Jack. This is the kit I have it's pretty nice and all fits in the tool bag. https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...th-bottle-jack

Oh, and a full size spare of course. I'm overhauling my SMB trailer and will have a dedicated spare for that too since the bolt pattern doesn't match the van.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Back to the original question: If you can't change it with the tools you carry, do you have the spare for the AAA truck driver?Mike[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't carry a spare tire. Personally, I've wrecked two tires beyond repair while out on the trail and will be adding a second spare prior to my next trip. As for tools, I carry a tire plugging kit, air compressor, wood blocks to go under the jack and about 30lbs of hand tools including a large breaker bar, extension and deep socket to fit the lug nuts. The stock lug wrench doesn't fit the aftermarket wheels that have a large center cap, I found that out the hard way the first time I slashed a tire in the wilderness.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Personally, I've wrecked two tires beyond repair while out on the trail and will be adding a second spare prior to my next trip.
Man, you should drive more carefully! I've never even gotten a flat.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Man, you should drive more carefully! I've never even gotten a flat.
I"m running Duratrac's with crappy, weak sidewalls, well known for failures. The last one was in a water crossing doing about 5mph. Came out the other side with a 4 inch gash, (aired down to only 50psi.) Speaking of driving more carefully, have you quit going over the bars, or did you enjoy that chunk of titanium in your wrist?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote