Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Wink Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Here is the ad posted on the forum

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...sel-26209.html

Herb
Thanks Herb, that is very helpful. Last night I did a search and found this van listed in 2015 for sale in Utah for $75K and it had about 67K miles on it.

The person that sold it was a member of the forum from 2009-2015 until he sold it and mentioned they bought it a couple months prior to joining the forum, so they were at least the 2nd owners (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ners-2859.html)

Then they put it up for sale in Jan 2015 on the site and sold it a few months later: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ice-14221.html

I was able to find a video of the van in 2015 on RVTrader's YouTube page, so it looks like the owner in Utah sold it to RVTrader?

Then the guy that listed the van in Washington that you posted must have purchased it from RVTrader, took it to Washington (which is where the current owner purchased it from) and did some of the bullet proofing and refurbished the interior to take out the shower and added new stove and refrigerator. Changed the light bar, etc. They only added about 18K miles to it.

The current owner said he has had 2 SMB'sm currently owns a 1999 V10, and this one was for his dad to replace an old Synchro 4x4. However, the dad has medical issues and can't use the van. They have only owned it a couple of months and they don't have a lot of paperwork of vans history. I don't think they want it because they have small kids and it looks like this van only has belts for 3.

I'm trying to piece together a history...

Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #12

records are sparse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
All things considered, and judging from previous sales, I think that Van is reasonably priced. Well appointed rig. Interior is a personal preference, I see very little storage available - you may not have issue with that. Looks very clean & well kept, contingent on a personal inspection though. Do they have any maintenance records (from both owners)?
Unfortunately the bullet proofing looks minimal from whats listed, but maybe you can figure out which shop worked on it and see if they have any record. Biggest expense is the head studs, also didnt see water pump and the blue spring listed.

***lately these have been selling relatively quickly, but nothing says you can't make an offer a little lower than asking price.
Hi! I heard from the seller that they don't have a lot of records. Which makes me a little nervous. I appreciate your PM with all the info!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
first thoughts -
No paperwork for what should be $12k to $18k of full BP work is suspect. I do not know how any mechanic will be able to tell if full BP was done by just looking at the engine. MAYBE pulling a report on the VIN might lead to the shop that did it if they are on the vehicle reporting system.

A billet Aluminum grill is NOT a good thing on any rig w an Aluminess Front bumper and especially a 6.0.

Layout - would not work for us nor many others - negative. Interior looks very clean and cared for. - postive

Equipment - very well outfitted. very positive. SMB Atlas - very positive.

Looks very clean in the wheel well and undercarriage shots. Garaged - very positive.
color, windows - very positive

If the layout is what you need/want and you can confirm BP was done, the asking price will likely be what it sells for. In today's market it may sell for asking even without proof of BP because of the way looks and the extensive equipment.
1der, I appreciate your response. The van ticks a lot of the boxes for me and my wife, we don't have kids but it would be nice to bring a couple friends along and it looks like there is only seating for 3.

Regarding the space, we'd prefer the 50 layout but I'm glad this thing has been modified to remove the shower space and add a cabinet instead. We are used to taking our 4Runner out and backpacking so I don't think the lack of storage will be too bad. We both still work a lot and will probably use it for a week at a time and I think we could make it work.

All the goodies that the van has and the color are the main draw for me. I like the mpg of the diesel but am a little concerned about the engine.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #14

Garage
1. ask for photo's with the engine cover off and photo's with the hood up.
2. ask for photo's of the house electrical system (e.g. underneath one of the seats).
3. is the mid seat a quick release?
4. ask for scans of the receipts for the engine work >> ask for the previous owners to see if you can contact them.
5. we can visit the seller since we're in Reno if you want eyes on the prize. Truckee is 30 minutes west.
6. that thing is super clean...cleaner than ours that I thought was clean.
7. ask about how the items are attached to the roof...it appears that they're screwed, which is a potential leak point >> an FYI.
8. if you're tall (>6-foot), the sun visor shelf may need to go.
9. need to buy some twin stick knobs.
10. the espar heaters are at least $1000 each...so consider that >> ask what version airtronic...D2? D2L? D4? >> where are they mounted?
11. the tubing to raise the rood appears arched, so read up on how to fix (sleeve the tubing on the inside or the outside).
Old 07-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
If work on the motor isn't meticulously documented never assume anything with a 6.0.

In addition to what others have pointed out just from the pictures it looks like this van still has all the 2005 suspension. SMB springs and possibly the yellow OME shocks. I would recommend if you get face to face with the owner I would want to take this van out on the highway. You drive it at 70 mph for a few minutes and see if your comfortable with how it handles and rides. It might be wise to include suspension upgrades in your budget if your not entirely happy.

There are members here with a much more accurate pulse on what vans are worth than I do, so I can't really help you there. This van looks like a great starting point, but if it was mine I would look at as that, a starting point. The price would need to reflect the fact I would spend many thousand more to make it the way I would want it. Trouble is in this market the prices are high just to get the van in your driveway. My opinion is, if I had the cash, 78k doesn't seem too outlandish for what this van has. But I could spent another 20k on suspension, motor work and interior add ons.

- Eric
I noticed the OME yellow too. I will probably get a full suspension replacement so it feels nice. I can't imagine one of these vans having suspension that lasts 15 years and still performs well? I feel like my Toyota 4Runner Offroad suspension is shot from the last 2 years and 40K miles. I'd also consider modifying the back seats at SMB west to get the perpendicular seating with the belts. I'd even be ok replacing the engine someday down the road, I'd just like some time with it first..
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
1. ask for photo's with the engine cover off and photo's with the hood up.
2. ask for photo's of the house electrical system (e.g. underneath one of the seats).
3. is the mid seat a quick release?
4. ask for scans of the receipts for the engine work >> ask for the previous owners to see if you can contact them.
5. we can visit the seller since we're in Reno if you want eyes on the prize. Truckee is 30 minutes west.
6. that thing is super clean...cleaner than ours that I thought was clean.
7. ask about how the items are attached to the roof...it appears that they're screwed, which is a potential leak point >> an FYI.
8. if you're tall (>6-foot), the sun visor shelf may need to go.
9. need to buy some twin stick knobs.
10. the espar heaters are at least $1000 each...so consider that >> ask what version airtronic...D2? D2L? D4? >> where are they mounted?
11. the tubing to raise the rood appears arched, so read up on how to fix (sleeve the tubing on the inside or the outside).
Thanks Chris! I am in Sacramento and I'm making arrangements to meet a mechanic and the seller this weekend. I appreciate your offer though. The seller that has only had it a few months mentioned that it is the cleanest used van, underneath, engine compartment and inside that he has ever seen. I'll add the items to look at that you mentioned to my list. I am about 6' and my wife isn't sure she wants a van with a popup, we had a tall sprinter in the past but I really like the 4x4 system on these vans and the lower roof height for being off road.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
Site Team

BTW, if you take a look at it, ask to remove the beauty cap on one of the rear wheels and see if the "hub" sticks out. That indicates a full float axle which would be desirable for strength. I'm sure someone here can explain it better than I just did.

Herb
Old 07-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
BTW, if you take a look at it, ask to remove the beauty cap on one of the rear wheels and see if the "hub" sticks out. That indicates a full float axle which would be desirable for strength. I'm sure someone here can explain it better than I just did.

Herb
That's great to hear. I was wondering how I could tell if it had a full float. I've looked at diagrams of how they work but wasn't sure how to identify.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_A View Post
That's great to hear. I was wondering how I could tell if it had a full float. I've looked at diagrams of how they work but wasn't sure how to identify.

Here's an image of a FF rear axle, sometimes hidden behind a wheel cover of some sort:

This video is a bit long but it gives a good over view of FF vs SM---I found it interesting and informative

Hope this helps!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #20

Garage
Was an informative video - I'm a little smarter now, so thanks for posting JWA.