Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 12:51 AM   #1

Do you think $78k is a fair price?

I realize it’s the 6.0 that may be a little sketchy. But the price is probably more than it was when it was new, is that typical since prices have inflated so much? Owner says most bullet proofing has been done by previous owner but no paperwork to prove. I have appointment to look at it this weekend and a mechanic scheduled to take a
Look at it.

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/truckee-2005-sportsmobile-eb-14-diesel/7166930646.html

What do you think is a fair offer assuming the bullet proofing has been done? Thanks for any replies!

—Ryan

Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Garage
All things considered, and judging from previous sales, I think that Van is reasonably priced. Well appointed rig. Interior is a personal preference, I see very little storage available - you may not have issue with that. Looks very clean & well kept, contingent on a personal inspection though. Do they have any maintenance records (from both owners)?
Unfortunately the bullet proofing looks minimal from whats listed, but maybe you can figure out which shop worked on it and see if they have any record. Biggest expense is the head studs, also didnt see water pump and the blue spring listed.

***lately these have been selling relatively quickly, but nothing says you can't make an offer a little lower than asking price.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #3

first thoughts -
No paperwork for what should be $12k to $18k of full BP work is suspect. I do not know how any mechanic will be able to tell if full BP was done by just looking at the engine. MAYBE pulling a report on the VIN might lead to the shop that did it if they are on the vehicle reporting system.

A billet Aluminum grill is NOT a good thing on any rig w an Aluminess Front bumper and especially a 6.0.

Layout - would not work for us nor many others - negative. Interior looks very clean and cared for. - postive

Equipment - very well outfitted. very positive. SMB Atlas - very positive.

Looks very clean in the wheel well and undercarriage shots. Garaged - very positive.
color, windows - very positive

If the layout is what you need/want and you can confirm BP was done, the asking price will likely be what it sells for. In today's market it may sell for asking even without proof of BP because of the way looks and the extensive equipment.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_A View Post
What do you think is a fair offer assuming the bullet proofing has been done? Thanks for any replies!

—Ryan

If work on the motor isn't meticulously documented never assume anything with a 6.0.

In addition to what others have pointed out just from the pictures it looks like this van still has all the 2005 suspension. SMB springs and possibly the yellow OME shocks. I would recommend if you get face to face with the owner I would want to take this van out on the highway. You drive it at 70 mph for a few minutes and see if your comfortable with how it handles and rides. It might be wise to include suspension upgrades in your budget if your not entirely happy.

There are members here with a much more accurate pulse on what vans are worth than I do, so I can't really help you there. This van looks like a great starting point, but if it was mine I would look at as that, a starting point. The price would need to reflect the fact I would spend many thousand more to make it the way I would want it. Trouble is in this market the prices are high just to get the van in your driveway. My opinion is, if I had the cash, 78k doesn't seem too outlandish for what this van has. But I could spent another 20k on suspension, motor work and interior add ons.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #5

If you like the interior, then its not a bad price. With full bulletproofing done, I would think he would be asking near $90k. So if that's in your budget, go for it. You pay for the bulletproofing and know that it was done right.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
If you like the interior, then its not a bad price. With full bulletproofing done, I would think he would be asking near $90k. So if that's in your budget, go for it. You pay for the bulletproofing and know that it was done right.

Good advice, IMO. Otherwise, I'm envious of that garage
Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Team

FWIW, that rig has been shown here as being FS either a couple of times, or its still FS. I think its overpriced by $8K - $10K. Verifying the BulletProof EGR cooler should be easy, and worst case, replace the OEM oil cooler with a new OEM cooler and call it a day. I personally don't think the van 6.0's need anything other than the BP EGR cooler and a new OEM oil cooler, as long as they aren't running an extreme tune.

Herb
Old 07-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #8

I really like the layout, but it definitely lacks storage. You have to think about what you take when you go on a trip and visualize where it will all go in this van. Seems more of a "weekender" setup rather than a "trans america" setup.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

I bought a similar one 2 years ago

I bought a very comparable 2005 E-350 a couple years ago. Granted, it didn't have some of those cool ARB switches and the fancy leather inside but it did have solar, awning, new tires, upgraded stereo, winch, etc.

It was also the RB50 config which has a bit more storage and there was only 60K miles on it.

I paid $70k.

If you paid a similar price or a bit less, since that was 2 years ago, you may be in the right ball park. $78K is too high IMHO but that is a sweet rig.
leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Here is the ad posted on the forum

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...sel-26209.html

Herb