Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

Does anyone know what kind of brackets these are and where to find them?

Aloha SMB Forum -

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this. I am looking for a way to mount (2) solar panels to my penthouse top. My top has the Yakima tracks running the full length and I would love to use a bracket setup that is secured in the track. It looks like that is the case in the photo.

Does anyone know where to find such a bracket?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
solar01.jpg  

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

you can probably fab brackets yourself, the mounting hardware to the tracks can be found here : https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....4&pc2=Y8890028

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Team

I think SMBwest used that bracket when they installed my solar panel (don't have any pics, sorry). I think it was more or less just an angle bracket with a washer/bolthead that was slid in to the opening at the beginning of the Yakima track and then tightened down.

Herb
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

Check out Renogy Solar's "Z brackets" : http://www.renogy-store.com/Solar-Pa...t-p/mts-zb.htm
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Do the solar panels extend past the width of the Yakima tracks? If not, then below can work. If they do, then the angle brackets will need to run laterally.

1.5" x 1.5 " or1.5" x 2", or 2" x 2" Aluminum angle, 1/16" or 1/8" thick does the job. The horizontal dimension depends on the spacing width of the Yakima tracks and width of you solar panels. The vertical dimension needs to hold the panels high enough to provide for airflow under the panel, minimum 1" below the lower edge of the panel. You will need to get the T-Nuts* to go into the Yakima Tracks. Best place I found was Grainger. You will have to get the right depth button head screw (allen head is preferred) to allow for the thickness of the angle, washers and threads in the T-nut. Proper depth is necessary so as to not bottom out on the track. Use some blue Loctite on the threads.

* If the track end caps are removable, you can use a square flat nut in place of the T-nut.

Mounting to the solar panel requires care in placement of the mounting holes. Make sure the holes are low enough so as to not interfere with wiring or the glass, and provide room for washer and nut to clear.

Lastly, The roofs are typically not flat, so two long brackets on each side (if the panel fits inside of the tracks, are preferred to one long one.

I'll see if I can get some pics of what I did with our panel. PM your ph # to me if you would like to discuss.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Re: Brackets

Thanks for all of the information, I really appreciate it! The Solar's "Z brackets" seem pretty sweet I will see if I can rig them up with the hardware Greg recommended. 1der I live in SF as well and will send you a PM.

Thanks again!
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote