Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #11

There is a blue one in the used section of the Sportsmobile Website. It was listed quite a while ago, and doesn't seem to sell. Don't know why, as it looks pretty nice. Ours is the Ford Estates Green. Not a light green or a dark green, pretty much in the middle. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #12

I've got the dark green. The color just grew and grew on me as I pondered the used ads. Now that I own it I can't imagine a different color.

The downside is it looks somewhat military and that can draw more attention, both good and bad.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #13

Mine is all black and does get very hot on warm days. Today in SoCal it was in the 90's and while on the road with only front A/C it was fine. But while parked in gets very hot inside the vehicle. On the positive side when it is clean it looks extremely good. On the negitive side -- one day on the trail and you might think I was in Baja for months.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #14

Garage
Moab Red for me...

Doesn't really heat up like black, I had a black truck a few yrs ago - never again....

Personally I'm a fan of color, yes the Red does probably does draw a bit more attention to the van (well, not as much s Yellow Fella!!) and scratches will show a little more but ever since I was a kid I just liked big red fire trucks and stuff

If I had the coin to pop for a brand new van of my dreams, I might think hard about the orange SMB just did the new show van with....

Here's a shot of Moab Red that just happened to be taken in Moab....

[img][/img]
Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #16

I love that orange. It reminds me of the original color of my 74 Comet GT. The super dark gray intererior on that one though... the last thing I need is to feel more enclosed.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #17

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Ford had a major paint peeling issue with blue on galvanized steel. I understand they skipped the primer and painted directly on the steel.
--> While not a problem for garaged vehicles, any that was in the sunlight would peel.

So...
- my 1987 Blue Ranger was repainted by FMC for $100 deductable even out of the warranty.
- A friend's Blue F250 peeled all its blue paint.
- Another friend's Blue Windstar (a.k.a One-star) peeled paint only on the drivers side. That side was alway facing south when parked in his driveway.

I think no one wants a blue Ford anything!!! http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=561&scid=99

Back to subject...I have a blue 1995 Dodge, paint is holding well...I love blue and orange...GO BEARS!!!

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocken
Ford had a major paint peeling issue with blue on galvanized steel. I understand they skipped the primer and painted directly on the steel.

I think no one wants a blue Ford anything!!! http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=561&scid=99
Holy crap! Thanks for that article...

After reading that, maybe I'll go w/ forest green instead. It'll match my company's colors anyway. Then I can put my logo actually ON my van, too. Hmmm....

Keep the replies coming, please. I'm interested in hearing from others, too!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #19

It was explained to me in the 80's and early 90's that the issue was the primer, not the paint. The primer was too hard, and the paint didn't adhere to it sufficiently. It was most severe with metallic paints. I had a Ford F150 extended cab that got repainted. It was two tone, black/gray. Mostly metallic gray with a wide black band in the center of the sides, and all the paint fell off the hood and top. Never had a problem with the black. It was a 1989. I had a 1995 metallic red after that one, and had no problems. I never heard about Ford skipping the primer and painting directly on the metal. The flaking issue was due to the primer, not paint on metal. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #20

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
My friends peeling Windstar was a blue 1999. I was suprised as I also thought it was a problem from the 80's

I guess I got a little off topic ....my point was that FMC colors(specifically blue) lost popularity as the plain white did not peel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
It was explained to me in the 80's and early 90's that the issue was the primer, not the paint. The primer was too hard, and the paint didn't adhere to it sufficiently. It was most severe with metallic paints. I had a Ford F150 extended cab that got repainted. It was two tone, black/gray. Mostly metallic gray with a wide black band in the center of the sides, and all the paint fell off the hood and top. Never had a problem with the black. It was a 1989. I had a 1995 metallic red after that one, and had no problems. I never heard about Ford skipping the primer and painting directly on the metal. The flaking issue was due to the primer, not paint on metal. oclv

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote