Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #41

Garage
Doofas time. Any body else do this?

I got so excited by the killer stereo thread I pulled the trigger on a new clarion nx602. I loaded it up with speakers from another member and a new screen and headed for car toys to install. It was 2 miles later that I saw my extension cord for the charger dragging 25 feet behind the van..... IDIOT! Worst part is that this is the second time driving away with it plugged in. I forgot the snow scraper on the seat reminder.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #42

That's a big fear of mine so I started hanging my charge cord around the drivers door mirror. It won't work if you have a short cord but at home I have a long orange one so it works when I'm home. Did it tear up the cord or receptacles?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #43

Re: Doofas time. Any body else do this?

Doofas of the day.

That's me.

Prepping the van for my trip to the Grand Canyon.

Filled the water tank, drained and refilled. Putting the hose away. Only it is really tight on the connection to the van. Never been that tight before. So, I try harder and it starts to come off. Then, I am soaking wet from the spray jet coming from the connection.

I guess it comes off easier if you turn off the water supply first.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #44
Site Team

Garage

Thought I replied via TapaTalk but it never showed up.

Haven't driven with roof up but almost destroyed it while lifting. We were showing the van to good friends. She was in rear and I told her how to unlatch the PHT so I could open it. I proceeded to hit the uplift switch but things didn't seem right. The rear wasn't lifting because our friend hadn't acted on my instructions so the back was still locked down. Fortunately, I dont think I did any serious damage. Moral: Trust but verify.

Not exactly a doofas item but worth noting: We camped once on a right hand pitch. The top was tilted to the right as I lowered it when we broke camp and the weather stripping strip caught on two of the bolts for the awning, popping two buttons (or whatever they should be called) from the roof shell. Once again, all seems well as the buttons went back into their holes and the weather stripping is mostly in place though stretched a bit. We'll see what happens if it ever rains again.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #45

Here's a tip I learned from someone that tried to drive their car into the garage with bicycles on their roof rack. Tie a piece of something to a string. When you park and think you need to remind yourself of something just hang the reminder item from the rear view mirror.

I credit this idea with saving me from looking back at a drive through and seeing small, previously expensive, chuncks of carbon fiber bicycle frame hanging off the back of my S-10 pickup Gem Top shell bike rack.

Since I don't have a rearview mirror in my van I'll probably just poke a hole and tie a string to a SMB-Forum magnet and loop it through my steering wheel. The magnets are still good for a few things.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Here's a tip I learned from someone that tried to drive their car into the garage with bicycles on their roof rack.

This reminded me of driving my wife's Jeep a couple months ago...Didn't have bikes on top but a shed that was flat packed that I put on my roof rack. Slammed into the new garage door, bending it.
My excuse? I didn't have a garage for 20 years so wasn't even thinking about it. Wife wasn't too happy.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage

A variation on Gnarvan's string: put something in the middle of the garage to block your entrance.

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #48
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Yup, I have definitely been there among all you other doofuses.....

-Pop top not latched, luckily I check the latches overhead as I pull out of a spot. No damage done.
-Rear tire swung out on a left hand bend on the highway going 65, no real damage, just a small crack in the tail light as my bump stop is too short for the larger tires(have to fix that)
-Fridge flinging open and all of its contents flying out(several times)
-never have driven off while plugged in, but did have a friend wake up one morn to find a gas nozzle and hose hanging from his car!! That's dedication!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #49
Site Team

Hi Rick (REF),

Haven't seen you on here for a while. I hope you, Alex and Lake are doing well. It's been two years since we met at Toroweep. Mike (Ford_6L_E350) and I will be at the Grand Canyon again next week. Hopefully our paths will cross again.

Regards,

Mac
Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #50
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Mac, all is well. Ya, been a little absent on the forum as of late. I will be posting up shortly on my install of a solar panel (finally!). Headed to New Mexico beginning of Nov. hitting Santa Fe, ojo caliente, Taos and Albuquerque. Any other SMB's down there?
Alaska next summer?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote