Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #81

Re: Doofas time. Any body else do this?

Regarding a key behind the front plate - I know of cases where front plates have been stolen, and I would hate to think of what might happen if a thief would find a spare key in the process of liberating a plate.

VintageSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #82
Site Team

Garage

At a minimum you can have the key cut to only open the doors and not start the vehicle.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #83

I have hide a keys stashed all over the place.
My problem is trying to remember where I hid them.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #84

A zip tie and the frame rail make for a great spot. Only three downsides: you have to crawl under the van to retrieve it if needed, you need a knife or wire cutters, the key is exposed to the elements and won't last forever.

We have the keypad installed on the driver's door. One of my favorite "aftermarket" additions. I use it at least five times a week when surfing.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
A zip tie and the frame rail make for a great spot. Only three downsides: you have to crawl under the van to retrieve it if needed, you need a knife or wire cutters, the key is exposed to the elements and won't last forever.

We have the keypad installed on the driver's door. One of my favorite "aftermarket" additions. I use it at least five times a week when surfing.
I have implemented both of the above.

If you leave the radio powered up for a week or so camping (even if just to see the clock), it will run down your starter battery -- and then at some point your power locks won't respond anymore to your rear door keypad. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but that's why there's a key ziptied to my frame rail.

-- Geoff
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #86
Site Team

I use a magnetic metal Hide-A-Key container that is located on the frame of my SMB. The container was placed there by the previous owner of my rig prior to 2009. Since then I have been on many rough, bouncing, rock-pounding dirt roads. I went out to check on the container a few minutes ago. It is still there.

You can buy the container cheap here:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Heavy-Du ... hide+a+key
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #87

I have the touch pad installed on the passenger door. My logic is that is convenient for getting in the side door when you don't have a key along (most often used door for getting things inside or out of van than getting into the drivers door) and its very convenient for the passenger who may not have a vehicle key to get in when the driver is not around. Not having the pad on the drivers door makes sure I have the Ignition key with me. I let the van battery drain down by accident last winter. The power locks stopped working of course so key pad would not work anyway. Key access only in that condition- I will have to get one of those magnetic key holders to place a spare on the hitch somewhere. Keypad reverted to factory settings after the power outage so I had to reprogram my code following the instructions -including muting the annoying loud chirp when you remote lock or unlock the vehicle.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #88

Here's another magnetic keyholder at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-20...S2/VBEI6VFURI8

It's extra large.

I'm thinking one could perhaps keep a sandwich in there with the key, in case opening the van makes one hungry.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #89

Re: Keys, I use a key vault bolted to the back side of my Aluminess box. Swing open the box, punch in the pin, and I have a key. Pretty safe and secure location, no batteries required, and it's not a giveaway if you're trying to retrieve a key.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #90

I have had a cheap magnetic key box (not near as nice as the Amazon one) stuck to the frame on the back of my Jeep Wrangler for 15 years and 275,000 miles. I have used it multiple times over the years and the only problem I have had was when I was skiing at Mt Bachelor with friends about 10 years ago. My friend's wife wanted to cross country ski so we gave her the keys because she was only going for a few hours and we were going to meet her in the lodge later. Then.... the power to the lifts died. We went back to the Jeep to stow our gear and the key box was frozen in a block of ice from road spray. I bummed a screw driver off someone in the parking lot and spent 15 minutes chipping away the ice to the key.

I have a key pad on the van and yes it is one of the best options I had installed. Especially since our dogs like to stand on the arm rests when we leave them in the van, and yes they have locked the doors with the keys inside.

I have tried to drive off with the rear tire carrier unlatch but have not yet made it out of my driveway.

I have had a couple of moments in my Jeep.

On our second trip to Mexico we drove through California during a very strong storm with heavy rain and 60+ mile an hours winds. When fueling up in the sideways rain I forgot to put the gas cap back on and drove for an entire tank of gas with the cap off. For the rest of the trip he Jeep would sputter for a while after rough sections of road which in Baja isn't a great feature.

I also forgot to latch the hitch on my utility trailer and got a nice dent in the back of my Jeep to help me remember.

Cheers,
John