Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #101
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Doofas time. Any body else do this?

The scenario of leaving someone behind just recently played out in an episode of "last man on earth" where Phil drove off in the RV not knowing Carol had gotten out at the last fill up pit stop, he had to backtrack for hours! Pretty funny, but I think it should be the job of the passengers stepping out of the vehicle, especially if they are presumably sleeping, to inform the driver of their departure of said vehicle....

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I think it should be the job of the passengers stepping out of the vehicle, especially if they are presumably sleeping, to inform the driver of their departure of said vehicle....
Makes sense on one level, but from a pilot-in-command perspective the driver needs to take full responsibility for the operation of his vehicle. My dog probably didn't think of telling me she was getting out of the vehicle immediately after jumping in, but it would be pretty sad to blame it on my dog. In the case of a supposedly-sleeping person, their failure to proactively inform the driver they were leaving the vehicle was very much a contributing factor (contributory negligence?), but at the moment of departure, the driver is the only one who could prevent leaving without the passenger so the responsibility falls on the driver. (IMHO, of course.)

I've heard that the Australian army considers that there's no such thing as an accident where the driver is not at fault, even if any reasonable interpretation of events would hold the other guy at fault. If true, it probably helps the army drivers be extra cautious. As a driver, taking on that attitude seems very self-empowering as it eliminates the victim mentality.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #103

Garage

arg, i think its my turn...

installed an aluminess tire carrier today. still need to get some lugnuts and figure out how to secure from theft, so the spare was left underneith. then realized that the carrier is now blocking the hole where the crank rod goes to lower spare. am i hosed? gonna have to loosen or uninstall that thing arent i?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
am i hosed? gonna have to loosen or uninstall that thing arent i?
[youtube:3uh1vxpz]
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #105

I have to hand it to that guy. It looked really cold.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #106

Garage

^^^ hell yes it looked cold, lol.

thanks for the vid, we figured it would come to something like that.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #107
Site Team

Garage
I have a few vehicles one of which is a 96 Impala SS with just over 20,000 miles on the odometer. To say the car sits a lot might be an understatement. A few years back all my Go-Pro stuff and my I-Pod with a couple thousand songs disappeared. Most pointed to one of the shops I take the van to for vehicle work but I didn't have a clue...could have been a grab-n-go at my place when coming to or from a road trip. It was about $1,500 bucks worth of stuff. It was difficult to drop that kind of cash on purchasing new cameras due to their lower priority but the music and I-Pod had to be replaced. Over the next year I purchased an I-Touch and started to try to get back everything I had lost. I never did get all the music back until last week. I decided to let a buddy drive the SS to Fresno and pick me up at the shop who is doing engine work on my van. I told him to swing by and grab some beers for the ice chest being we'd planned to do some shore fishing on the way home. As we drove out of Fresno he asked "what ice chest" and told him the blue one in the back seat. He said there was only one ice chest and it was filled with stuff. I asked, old rotten beers from at least a year ago Nope, a bunch of wires and electronic stuff he said. I was driving and told him to show me. That was a bitter sweet moment when he pulled out my old Go-Pro's and my I-pod. He laughed at the look on my face. All that friggin money I had spent for nothing and now I didn't have an ice chest for the beers

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #108

Aw man, that sucks Dave! You are not alone though. The older I get the more stuff I know I have but can't find so I end up replacing it, like TOOLS!!! Then eventually I find them. Just the other day I was removing a cabinet panel in the van when out rolled a punch that has been missing since.........hmmm.......about the time I built the cabinet?
Not quite the same but that crap happens to me all the time!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #109

I agree. Have put stuff down, had lunch and when I get back it is no longer there. It must be he little people messing with us.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #110

Garage
^^^ x2. electronic gnomes....little jerks.

...does sitting down at your office chair and quickly look for your seatbelt count as a doofus move? ive done that a couple of times