Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

Door locks

I often leave my Sportsmobile at remote trailheads or river access points. I hate to admit it, but I spend a lot of time worrying about it being broken into and trashed while I'm 2 or 3 miles upriver. Yes, it happens, and has happend a couple times with other rigs. There are "hockey puck" hasp locks available, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions. I just want to make it damn difficult for the creeps to get the doors open.

thanks...

Tom

Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Re: Door locks

The Badgers used regular old hasps and locks.

You might also consider bulletproof glass treatment for your front two windows. I'm not sure how it holds up to multiple object blows, but it would likely make coming through them enough of a chore that most opportunists would give up, and you're out a window, not a window plus everything in the van.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #3

Jage, what kind of bullet-proof treatment are you talking about? The special laminates that are bullet-resistant (no glass is truly bullet-proof) are fantastically expensive. And they really don't necessarily stand up to, say, a sledge-hammer blow. You can buy special, really thick transparent plastic and mount it inside your windows, but then you can't open them. Plus, a normal windshield can be broken quite easily if struck a sharp blow by a pointed, really hard object. So, if some delinquent really wants to break your window, there's not much chance of stopping them. I like the idea of clearly visible, hard-to-defeat locks; even if you break a window, it's hard to get in and get stuff out if you can't open a door.
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #4

3M has a product called Scotchshield Security Laminate. It installs like regular window tint.

I've wanted to get this installed since I bought my van but there are no local shops that offer it (if anybody knows one that will do it, please post the info!)

Info: (not an endorsement of the product or businesses)

http://www.glassgard.com/scotchshield2.html

http://www.locksurgeon.com/3M-window-film.html
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #5

Right, I'm talking about what JoeyNick is talking about. It's the same idea as locks, which can be easily defeated (picks, combo cracking, hammer blows, bolt cutters), but are a deterrent, hopefully enough to make the crook move on. There was a couple that travelled in South America that had it and ever since I've wanted it on the driver and passenger windows.

A van with visible locks- the next most obvious thing is the driver and passenger windows. The side and rear windows are small and the windshield is not an obvious entry point, but the side windows are a common entry point in contents theft (strict research based on YouTube videos...) and in my mind, in the van the most obvious target for entry.

If they've got all the time in the world, yeah, they're going to get through, but the idea is that the window doesn't just pop into shards on the first blow and they have to either walk away or spend time and effort going through the plastic and glass to get your mp3 player.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #6

JoeyNick and Jage, now I see what you're talking about. By the way, having a window sticker that says the vehicle is protected by special window stuff may be enough to make a would-be thief or vandal move on to an easier target (kinda like having visible Charley Bars in your sliding doors). I looked at your sites, JoeyNick, but they seem to focus on protecting plate glass in buildings and to require professional installation. Check out this web site; I don't know anything about the product or the company and am not endorsing their claims, but what they say and show makes good sense. Should make an interesting project!
http://shattergard.com/vehiclegard.html
Jage, I agree with you that the windshield is not an obvious path of entry. Only really experienced thieves would know how easy it is to shatter a windshield, and today's windshield glass is lots better than that in, say, my "classic" SMB. And anyway, it's not easy to get up on an E-350 hood and crawl in! So film your windows and peacefully.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psomaki
I looked at your sites, JoeyNick, but they seem to focus on protecting plate glass in buildings and to require professional installation.
Yep, but it's the same stuff.

Your link is better because it's vehicle specific. Pricing seems very fair, I just might have to try and tackle this one myself with their kit.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #8

Here I go stating the obvious, but it just occurred to me that the front door windows are a common means of escape if the doors get jammed in an accident or the vehicle gets submerged. With the film in place, somebody trapped inside the van could not break out the side windows. Guess there are trade-offs in most anything.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Overland Hardware...

http://www.overlandhardware.com/protect.html
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #10

Adventureduo, that's what I'm looking for!

thanks!

Tom