Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek
The basic principles of washboard driving have been mentioned, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of shocks. Having really good (expensive) shocks makes a huge difference. The difference is not just in the speed at which you can travel, but also in your ability to stop.

With soft tires, you effectively skip across the bumps and at certain speeds, this feels smooth. Stopping is now the trouble. Good shocks (and good springs) will allow the suspension to better absorb the bumps and will keep the chassis more stable. This keeps your tires on the ground and gives you better stopping and cornering ability.
Just curious, in your opinion, what are good shocks for an upgrade on the SMB? At some point, I'll need new shocks and I'm clueless about what type might work better. Thanks
R

Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #12

I'm using Rancho9000 and while I appreciate the adjustiblity, I think the van+deavers could do with more.

Here is A thread with good info also.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #13

We have the Ranco 9000, and I set them on the lowest setting. This helps a lot. It is night and day on wash board. But washboard is washboard. Our vans are 9,000 to 10,000 pounds. They are built on a one ton set up. My wife always says that her Astro van is better on washboard. I remind her how heavy we are and that we are basically a one ton truck. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #14

one more happy rancho 9000 user here. on the road I keep it at the middle setting, on washboard, I dial them down to the softest while I air down to 45.

I also have an air suspension that I reduce to almost the minimum pressure.

The end result is a much different ride at 45-55 mph but the van will definitely pitch and dive on braking and maneuvering.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the info.

For those using the Rancho 9000s, were these able to bolt right on to the SMB, or was custom mounting work necessary?

Rob
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #16

Bolt on, both SMB and Rancho have standard mounts- just look at your mounts on each end, measure and they bolt right in place of your exisiting shocks. I say this having paid someone to do this for me

Has anyone installed the remote knobs for controlling the shock settings? I'm sick of laying on the ground to change my rear shock settings.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Re: Driving on washboard.

Not yet, but I'm contemplating it.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #18

Thanks for the shock info. I'm speaking with Deaver next week about springs and I may go ahead and do shocks at the same time. My recent washboard experience in DV was so unpleasant that I've got to do something, and soon.
Rob
Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #19

I don't know if I said this by my original shocks were shot to heck at less than 50K. Pretty sad. I'd definitly do shocks with the springs.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #20

So if I understand correctly, everyone has a harsh ride with the factory SMB springs? I plan on upgrading to 315's and Rancho 9000's but will the ride still be harsh with dropped pressure?
Kinda sucks because one of our frequent trips is Saline/Death Valleys and their endless miles of washboard road.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote