Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Post em Derek I would also like any info myself.

Ray I stayed at Great Basin National Park (Nevada/Utah border) as one of my stops but that's slightly off your path. It's supposed to have a great 2 hour cave tour. It can be a little warm there but it's up in altitude and cooler than the desert area. I was able to make the drive from the Tetons to GBNP in about 10 hours. In the Tetons I stayed at Lizard Creek CG which was nicer than others as far as campgrounds go. I saw several camps before you get to Jackson. I was in such a rush I didn't have time to locate boondock sites. There is supposed to be a great CG close to the Morgan Junction that is up a dirt road. Might be full during hunting season but it looked like the best spot for a SMB. Plan on several days in the area if you plan to see much. I never really looked at camping in Yellowstone. Lizard Cr is about 8 miles from the Yellowstone kiosk. so it was kind of central during my stay. I'll find my notes and post more info later. Oh and if you got a camera that you can put a filter on the lens, take a polarizer filter...it will help shooting into the pools and helps with colors. I'll post a few pics.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #12

Driving Tips

Ray and Ruby ,
You have picked one of the best time's of the year to make your Yellowstone Trip . All of the previously posted tip's are worthwhile and I would like suggest that you stop at predetermined milages as this makes for pleasant family relation's( Ruby and your Children ) I would also suggest that on your way up or on your return trip try taking Utah Highway 89 from St.George (going up) or from Provo on your return . This will add approximately four hour's of driving time thru some of the most dramatic geology in the U.S. Short excursion's will take you thru Zion , Red Canyon Cedar Breaks and Bryce National Park .We have taken this route dozen's of time's over the last forty year's and never been disappointed , in fact my children remember this side trip better than any of the trip's abroad or domestic . it will make for a very pleasant addition to your Adventure ! Be Safe and Enjoy .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Greg,

Thank you so much for your advice. If time permits, we will definitely try take the 89 on the way home, because we don't want to loose our reservation at Yellowstone. Thank you again for all of your help with our build and other things!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #14

Yellowstone or Bust

Ray and Ruby ,
Have a wonderful time and take along the two appropriately sized Nut Driver's , to check and snug your awning bolt's if necessary it will only take a few second's to do and you will eliminate some of the problem's that other's have had . Drive safe and I know that you will enjoy .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #15

looking forward to the trip report with pictures!
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #16

camping around jackson

Hey R & R I live in jackson and if you need any info on camping, we know lots good places that are free and close to the parks. If you make it to north east yellowstone beartooth pass is worth checking out. Have a great trip!!!!
Jhgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
AEJ

Yellowstone Park

Ray & Ruby,

You can't go wrong going to Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP. Keep your camera handy at all times as you just don't know when you'll see wildlife (sometimes it's human)! I'm leaving Yellowstone tomorrow to go to Fresno for some service on my van. I like all the suggestions for interesting stops along the way.

Here's a link to some low grade pics that I put up for my family and friends:http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...7&conn_speed=1

These pics are not to be compared to the pros we have on this forum!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #18

If you travel through Glacier Natl. Park into Canada be sure to drive through the Kanaskas Wilderness. Unbelievable campgrounds. I was last through there in 85. Firewood was provided free! I wonder if they still do that. Going to Banff and Lake Louise be sure to have some good bug repellent. Sceeters up there are big enough to stand flat footed and breed with turkeys.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDoggy
looking forward to the trip report with pictures!
Will definitely do when we get back!

Thanks for the great pics Al....you're getting us all excited!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote