Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Driving without front sway bar

A few weeks ago, I removed the front sway bar from my 2010 SMB while driving off road (E350, 6L diésel, SMB suspensión). I never bothered to put it back on, and we found that it rides a lot better in general without it, even for daily driving on hard surfaces. I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that some thought it was unsafe, but I don’t find that to be the case at all. Even without the sway bar, it corners a lot flatter than an old Range Rover or Discovery. I suppose a violent maneuver at high speed would be safer with the sway bar, but the much improved compliance in the suspension results in a more comfortable ride.

I’m not planning to replace the sway bar. Anyone else doing the same?

SMBOVERLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

I completely agree. In my recent false start to drive to Argentina I disconnected mine when I hit the first dirt in Baja, made it to Lake Atitlán in Guatemala before being stopped by COVID, and didn't reconnect until getting on major US Highway in TX. It is a much smoother ride (especially on Mexican and Guatemalan roads!) without it and with the exception of a high speed emergency avoidance maneuver or high speed tire blow out I do not feel unsafe driving without it.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Following. I need to decide what to do with my sway bar. The bushing spindles are corroded to the bolt spindle. Grade 8 bolts are hard to drill out. Heat and solvent hasn't done the trick. Easiest thing is to either buy a new bar all together or dispense with the dang thing. Those quick disconnect links were never really that anyway.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #4

Garage
I haven't run a sway bar since I've had my van. I'm running a Weldtec kit with custom tuned shocks and it handles far better than the stock ever did even with the bar.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

I don't have a sway bar on my van. I have aftermarket springs and tuned shocks up front.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

No sway bar here either, and I have never felt I needed it. I have a straight axle and after market springs and shocks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
With my original SMB springs I had a hard time telling if I was disconnected. I even broke a stud and never knew it for several miles while returning from Death Valley. But after I had the Deaver springs installed, I can tell if it's disconnected and the van seems to wallow more in turns.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
But after I had the Deaver springs installed, I can tell if it's disconnected and the van seems to wallow more in turns.
The Deaver's are probably a bit taller and initially softer, so that would be expected, but I would think good shocks would dampen the wallow.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The Deaver's are probably a bit taller and initially softer, so that would be expected, but I would think good shocks would dampen the wallow.
I'm not complaining about it I just noticed it was a bit of a change from my old stiff SMB springs packs they were using in 06. Heck even going from 285's to 315's made a difference in cornering. The travel with the bar disconnected is also much softer and off road it makes a big difference in the ride. Basically the Deaver's made a huge ride improvement for both on and off road but the sway bar being disconnected makes a difference now as compared to the originals springs.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

Bought ours without the sway bar installed. It drives fine. Will get a traction bar for the rear to replace rear sway, but that's probably it.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote