Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 AM   #21

Velogeo, with my WEDCO water containers and the new Baja Box, it's way off. Even my old blue Reliance five gallon doesn't fit next to the Baja Box. I'm not sure what that space is designed to fit.

Funny, all my containers fit the Baja Basket.

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
The Scepter retail sales were stopped just in the last 12 months. I suspect that there is some inventory out there somewhere to be had... if you hunt. I also bet there are some sources of surplus used cans; they have made a few of these.

Aluminess always seems very open to trying to meet the customers needs.

When we were spec'ing our box they had already thought of the idea and they talked about it being the next standard offering. It is a box that holds a Honda 2000 generator and three 5 gallon jerry cans.

At the same time that they were working on my box, they had come up with there improvement to sealing all their boxes.

They incorporated this new seal flange into my box as well.

....but although the box dimensions were correct, with the new flange, it was not possible to get the 3 Jerry cans in. OUCH.

The guys at SMB TX put there heads together and got creative.

We really did not want to alter the flange because the seal is so nice now. We ended up cutting the shelf and letting it sit about an inch lower; it floats on top of angle material that uses the same mounting holes that the shelf did previously.

The floating shelf allows me to ligt it slightly to tilt in the Honda into the bottom of the box.

One of the big issues with the Jerry cans fitting was also that the blue water cansare just slightly taller than the fuel cans.

With the shelf sitting lower we can tilt the water can and get it in behind the flange, and then do the same with the second water can (if we are carrying both), and then we can slide a fuel can straight in.

So that fixed the problem of getting the cans in the box!

Then we tried to shut the box and found that the new locking latch setup with the sealing flange cause a NEW problem. This was now a depth problem. With the cans in place the lock bar hit the right-most can when you close it and that kept it from being able to spin and lock.

Luckily there is enough wiggle room to slide the can to the left and eliminate the conflict.

Wheeeeewwww... and now it all works.

I think this was just a case of making improvements to something that worked and not re-checking that the original requirements were still met.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Very interesting

I still like the baja setup, and spare tire in the back. I just wish I could fit my eu2000i in the box as well as the gas can for it. Right now I'm talking with Dave at aluminess and see what he can do. I'm thinking of cutting off the locking tab and add an external latch some how.
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We do still have the spare tire in the back also. I think the box footprint is similar, but our box is obviously taller.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #25

Fuel Cans

Here is a site that can provide you with an alternative to the carrying of Gasoline for your Honda and Yamaha Generator's . All three of my children have purchased for their Honda and Yamaha unit's .www.wisesales.com . This is a tank that attaches to the top of your generator and extends the run time up to 30 plus hours and are easy to store . Make sure that you order the optional Vented Cap for the make of generator that you have . I ordered one for our Honda 2000 this A.M. after witnessing the efficiency of these units this past Father's Day weekend .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
It looks like Scepter still sells consumer fuel cans, even a "Jeep" style one.

http://www.scepterconsumer.com/auto/specialty/

I found at least one place selling them, Fisheries Supply.

The question is, what are the dimensions? I'd hope the construction would be pretty close. They only have a single handle on top.

[EDIT] Yeah, I actually looked at the Fisheries Supply web site. Their store is in Seattle. I'm going to run down there and grab one in the next few days. The "civilian" version is $18. I hope it's comparable.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #27

Well, there must be some way to figure it out. It cost me $12 to mail back a $40 Wedco can.
I don't think the space next to my Baja box could be modified except by a skilled welder. It's just so frustrating to have paid the bucks for this and not be able to use it.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #28

jerricans

Marine supply stores sell jerry jugs for water, gasoline, and diesel. Of course, being that they are intended for boats, they cost 2x what the exact same thing would cost if marketed for land use. Our old rule was that if something's for a boat, double the price, and if for a sailboat (what we had), quadruple it...
Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #29

dry camping

Def. "A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood (steel, fiberglass) into which one pours money".

philrod

silver 07' E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #30

Re: dry camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrod
Def. "A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood (steel, fiberglass) into which one pours money".

philrod

silver 07' E350 V10 RB50
Sounds almost identical to our SMB ...except the water part. I believe Jage is the one who I originally saw compare a SMB to a boat.