Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Dry Camping and What I learned

Was dry camping solo over the past weekend during the Hells Canyon Rally in Baker City, OR. I learned I like shore power and without it, I don't have enough juice at night. Going to try and figure out a place under the van to add a second 4D battery (can't go behind the rear axle as I have my second spare in the factory location) or go with a generator. I learned I need to come up with an exterior shower with heat and that Handi Wipes and all the Armani cologne in the world can't make up for that. I learned that propane smells like a$$ and feet and I've got a leak or I really just need that aforementioned exterior shower and a place to secure my motorcycle boots outside the van. I learned my furnace doesn't always work (due to a low batt perhaps). I learned that Wedco Gerry Cans are the best, but even so, I got a diesel one with a leak (diesel all over my trailer, the back of my van, in the bumper storage and on both of my motorcycles -New replacement can on its way). And, I finally came to the brutal realization that I'm going to end up in the poor house getting my SMB just the way I want it. However, because of this website, I already know the direction I'm heading with all these eventual mods.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

Re: Dry Camping and What I learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
I learned I like shore power and without it, I don't have enough juice at night. Going to try and figure out a place under the van to add a second 4D battery (can't go behind the rear axle as I have my second spare in the factory location) or go with a generator.
What are you running that's using so much electricity in a night? Microwave? Hairdryer?

Or, if your issue is that you're trying to last multiple camping nights in a row, solar cells can help.

-- Geoff
Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

My 4D is tired. Have a nice big solar panel that charges it all up in the morning. Running a 4CU fridge, lights, tunes (sat which uses a fair amount), sometimes the furnace if its not giving me fits. I've got my DVD with up-convert, cables, mount and soon a flat screen TV, so looking to the future as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
D,

Could you put the second spare up top using a tray on your yakima bars? (that is what we plan to do when we feel we need a second spare)

That would make room for the second battery underneath, AND leave more room uner there for more goodies that might cost more money !!

We went with Scepter jerry cans; we figured if it can hold up to military use, that we should be able to live with them.

We have the external shower (old style) and already (after only a month) find it very handy.

Do youhave any solar panels to help keep that batter topped off? (since you are looking for more ways to spend money....)

Good luck.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I too went with scepter cans for both fuel and water. Our FEMA US&R Team uses these exact cans and you can easily build a shower attachment with the cans, marine 12v pump and shower wand.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #6

We have a good sized adjustable (side tilt) Kyocera solar panel up top (the wind deflector on the Yak rack is providing it with some protection when heading down the road). The local farm store is giving me a heck of a deal on Interstate 4Ds, so thought I should think about two.

Yea, bummed about the Wedco. Welded seams and everything. Got them from Expedition Exchange. They've never heard of a leak before (and I believe them). Replacement can arrives Wednesday (no charge). Bummer was I had already filled the van's tank, then filled the diesel cans (for the first time). Once I noticed the leak, there was nothing I could do but to place haz mat diapers under the can to help absorb some of the escaping fuel. They worked well, until they became too saturated. Then I had a mess on my hands.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #7

I bought a Wedco can for extra diesel but it wouldn't fit in the single space next to the Baja box (Aluminess) so back it went. I went to Scepter's web site, no retail sales. I looked at the long list of stores that carry them, everything is so far away for me, where did you guys find them?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

Joana,
You may wish to try an army surplus store. Over the weekend I bought a UN can for $18. They had several pallets of them in varying condition. Most were new "old stock" like new inside but surface rust outside. Army green so technically you have to paint it red to carry gas.

It is the same as my Wedco cans and fit in the Aluminess standard 4 can carrier. Not sure why it wouldn't fit next to the Baja Box.

I got it to replace my Blitz cans that always leak.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #9

Coleman sells a hot water heater that has worked well for me. It was fairly inexpensive. it will fit in the space where the porta potti would normally go.
I'm wondering about keeping a large spare tire/wheel on the roof. If you have a manual PH top then it will be hard to raise it unless you off load the tire and that won't be fun. I took my spare off my rear rack to grease the hinges and it was a handful just from there to the ground.
We use a Honda 2,000 generator. It plugs in on the driver side so the noise on the side where you spend most of your time is minimal. We seldom stay in campgrounds so it is of no issue.
Sounds like you had fun. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I think that Scepter stopped selling to the public this last year. ..and they may have stopped all retail sales, concentrating instead on the military market.

I think your best bet would be to cobble together a set of cans from the inventory that retailers might still have before they are gone.

We saw the signs from Scepter and bought a set of 5 cans: 2 water (blue), 1 gasoline (red), and 2 diesel (yellow).

I bet that the military tan cans are available in surplus or used arenas.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote