Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #1

Dust Management?

Is there a way to keep dust out of the living area?

I drive dusty roads and like driving with windows down. In a truck camper, the living area would stay clean but I'm considering a SMB and wonder if there's any way to keep dust out?

Maybe a DIY "dust curtain" behind the front seats? Anyone have any brilliant solutions?

Thanks!

JaphyRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #2

Most of the dust in our rig comes in from the rear doors. Keeping the windows up and the AC on helps although there is no cabin air filter. I did put filter material over the cowl intake when I was in Baja. Seemed to help.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #3

Thanks, Larrie.

I wouldn't have thought of that.
JaphyRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
A good thread
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...oors-1433.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #5

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ace-29120.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Weep holes

We had dust issues as well on a recent Nevada excursion. Our builder told us tape over the weep holes in the bottom of the rear doors (remember to remove the tape when you are done off-roading) and go Max A/C to pressurize the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
9C5F8E9D-7887-49E9-9A26-396A36DC01DD.jpg  
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

I've driven 4x4 vans since 1976 on Nevada's dusty, silty dirt roads. The ONLY way I've found to keep dust out of the interior is to pressurize the interior - shut all the windows and turn the heater/ac fan on high.

I've even met some hardcore off-roaders who mounted sets of double fans in the forward part of the vehicle roof to do just that - draw clean air from the front of the vehicle and ram it down into the vehicle. Positive pressure keeps the dust on the outside.

This is my 1976 Terravan. Note the vent on the roof that opens to the front...it scooped clean air coming off the windshield and pushed it into the interior.
[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

There is some dust that is so fine that max a/c and extra weather strip just doesn’t keep it out. Our down and dirty cure for the longest dustiest days is extra wide blue painters tape, we just tape around the doors. Works great, comes right off and if there’s any adhesive residue a quick wipe with wd40 or something similar cleans it right up.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #9

My Sprinter has a big dust filter on the cabin air intake. Driving with the windows up and the fan on medium high seems to keep dust out. Your preference for Open cab windows will always draw in dust from the from tires and other vehicles. A dust curtain will just partially delay dust migration. Once you turn on the front heat or A/C all the dust upfront will migrate to the back. IMHO
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

Dust mitigation wall/body gap

A while back I mentioned, like others, the dust issues. My dust infiltration is really focused on the driver side rear quarter. Very little comes in from the passenger side at any point. Some from rear doors but the big culprit seems to be from the battery box and forward to the wheel well. Recently while repairing the furnace i noticed a huge gap between the body sheet metal and the SMB particle board walls as shown in the photos. I’d like to at least seal that off with some filler material/insulation/stuffing to at least limit it’s penetration into the furnace fan box…and then out into the cabin. I see some light foam there now so it clearly doesn’t need to be too heat resistant. Any ideas/suggestions for what to stuff into the extra space around the cut out for the furnace exhaust ports?? And between walls of the van shown above the existing foam? At least sealing this off would help stop dust from affecting the furnace and blowing out. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
AB200118-1A40-4FF6-B164-8AD84B3E1535.jpg   22B2AEF4-E7DD-4A4A-BBC0-1E3E2D72E488.jpg  
Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote