Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: DYO sporty - lot's of questuions, looking for comments.

warholic-
Like trailsurfer, I have 12000 lb. Warn winch. (with synthetic line!!!) I, also have NO heat from doghouse. I spent a fair amount of money and had the entire interior of the van Dynamatted. (I think $600.00), and the van is really quiet. I'd do that again in a flash. I have the Extreme Air compressor and it fills the tires from 24 lbs. to 50 lbs. in 2min. 45 sec.+/- each.
I have posi rear and ARB front locker. Aluminess bumpers and ladder. Also have two 4D house batteries.because I only have about 2 inches of clearance going into the garage, and can't afford the height of solar panels. (Although I would have the panels if height were not a consideration). Leather seats. "Billet" Fuel door. No propane or heat. ( Don't like cold weather camping!)
Fiamma awning. Under floor storage. Kenwood stereo with ipod hookup and backup camera.
I put all my switches above the driver, on the storage bin, in one place. Small fridge and aux. plug in cooler like trailsurfer. Like you, I spent a lot of time reading these posts and I don't think I'd change a thing. Oh, also no microwave or stove. We use the butane stove like SMB sells, only a stainless one made for the marine industry. Having had boats and airplanes most of my life, we are used to making everything as light as possible and are religious about s**tcanning any superfluous crap for which we don't find any immediate need.
Also a honkin' great air horn 'cause I have the air tank.
Also I have a fairly big Halotron fire extinguisher, because not only is the SMB one tiny, it will do irreparable damage if you have to actually use it.
If I think of more stuff, I'll post it. Oh yeah, work lights on rear roof, Hella fog lights, and great big Lightforce driving lights, which would probably work great, but I've never used them. Lots of extra 12V outlets everywhere.
HID headlights to replace the standard really crappy stock ones when Scatter has the time to help me.
Bill

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #22

Skywagon - awesome input - thx for your time. I read your email 5 times alrdy, will continue to re-read it as i go along this process. (smile)
Never heard of Dynamatting - I'm going to do it - minimizing road noise or any noise, is one of my priorities.
Again, I will have to rethink V10 gas over diesel - sigh!
Butane stove - great idea.
I'm going to post seperate thread on clearance issues re: awning, roof racks, ladders when off-roading in forested areas and narrow canyons, etc.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by warholic
trailsurfer - GREAT input - thx for time to do it. Do you have a model year 2009?
I read this email at least 5 times - LOL - will continue to "study" it. Interesting input on 1 solar panel / extra house battery. Info on diesel engine not generating heat inside - you the first one I read that said that. Any guess why .... or?

trailsurfer - do you feel the front ARB is needed or is it "just in case"? Do you have the limited slip rear that comes with the Ford as an option?

I am going only with microwave inside and then syore a small 2 burner coleman gas stove inside. Do you just store your 10 gal tank inside and take out when u use it .... or is it affixed inside and accessible from outside? Maybe this dumb question.

Do you only use the Danhard AC while driving? Also when parked? Is it noisy when on - both inside and/or ouitside?
It is a 2008 Chassis.

I understand that Ford has put a lot of effort in reducing the heat inside the vehicle. I have read that they have done a much better job insulating the engine box over the last few years. I was stunned at how well insulated the van engine box seems to be. And this is after doing some 4-6 non stop runs in the heat.

The solar/battery deal seems to work well. The folks at SMB West really talked me out of a second solar panel, and they really didn't think I needed the extra battery either. I really like the set up. I have the entire 1/2 of my Aluminess rack for Surfbords, bikes, and ski's etc... . I can still use the other side, I just can't get a charge from my solar panel or use my Satellite receiver if it is blocked by cargo.

A/C works great. It isn't overly loud, but you know it is on. Sounds like any other RV A/C unit. Actually it is much quieter then the A/C Units that are on my diesel pusher RV. I have only used the Danhard when parked, the battery's will run it for a couple of hours if not plugged in or using a generator. The stock A/C works great when in transit.

The 10 gallon propane tank was installed by SMB, and is located mid way down the driver side right next to the water and electric hook up. I believe my propane hose is 15 feet that connects to the tank, so I can use a stove anywhere I need to around or in the van.

I think that having the front ARB locker is just a good insurance policy. I am sure I will need it at some point. The guys at SMB West talked me into keeping the stock limited slip rear differential. So far it really has amazed me on some of the off road stuff I driven so far. But, I do worry about its durability even though that is not a concern of the SMB guys.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #24

thx trailsurfer - I have lots of info now to help me spec the McBeast.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #25

Go Gas...diesel doesn't "pencil out". Go diesel if you LIKE diesel.
ARB front. LTD slip rear.
My heavy duty ARB compressor which came with the ARB install takes 20 minutes to air up from 25lbs to 50lbs. It sits neatly under the Radiator recovery tank. Don't know about faster compressors.
Solar, Solar , Solar. not an option.
Wish I had the under floor storage.
Better think about a spring upgrade based on what you are planning. You WILL exceed 10,000lbs loaded.
Ever thought about a used one?
Seems like some good deals are out there.
Have fun...not an option!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #26

Christopher - thx for input.
Yea - I think spring upgrade is necessary for best ride/handling on/off road. Not that stock isn't good enough but it seems the peeps owning SMBs will upgrade the suspension and the diffs/axels whenever they can afford it.
I prolly will go Gas V10, solar, XL storage.
20 mins to air up - that's all 4 tires, right?
I would like to buy low mileage used SMB with some of these expensive options alrdy added - definitely more for your money that way. And then upgrade as needed ..... but the layout is the issue there. I don't like the RB50 design - I want a pass thru to the rear doors and a longer goucho. I think it's worth me looking longer for a late model used one - depreciation is a killer, and cash is KING nowadays.
thx
warholic
Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #27

You should have no trouble finding used V10. An RB will be harder than an EB.
20 minutes for 4 is pretty close. I timed myself recently but got distracted so give yourself 5 minutes + or - at those pressures. I made up an air chuck that locks on and has a guage and I use it to air down as well.
Have you considered a used un-altered van? That's what I did. I have a simple layout with a rear bunk and a fridge freezer.One 125w solar panel and one 100amp AGM battery. No propane, no plumbing. Lots of storage space and foot room and seating for 5. The 4wd conversion was done by Quadvan in Portland. It's a very well done set up. I saved lots of $$$. No sales tax in Oregon! Have SMB do the the rest of the stuff you can't do.
I opted to stay simple mostly do to the "basic" quality of cabinetry done by SMB. They do a "motor home" style build and frankly it is a waste of space and weight and doesn't hold up to heavy long term use. Just my opinion on cabinets. SMB is super on the 4wd and top but won't do a used van more than a couple of years old.
PM me if you want some actual numbers.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #28

Good input Christopher. I know of quadvan from this research - I will look at their website.
Would you recommend 4x4 conversion first, if I went that way, then to SMB for anything else?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #29

I would go to SMB first if you're starting with a 2wd van. Also, consider local 4x4 shops. A little Tucson shop did an awesome job on Panion's van and I'm pretty sure they'd never touched a van before that.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #30

Jage - Got it - BTW - since SMB is doing a 4x4 conversion, shouldn't i only buy a 4x2 anyway - why would I buy a 4x4 just to have SMB change everything anyway?