Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #31

Re: DYO sporty - lot's of questuions, looking for comments.

If SMB is doing your 4x4 conversion then yeah, there is no reason to take them a 4x4 van. But I thought you were asking which to do first- 4x4 or SMB, which I thought meant SMB interior, or PH or anything other than their 4x4 package, meaning you were looking to get the 4x4 done at Quigley, Quadvan, S&K or somewhere else which in my take includes getting an existing 4x4 van and taking it to SMB for top and/or interior.

So, I don't know, I guess I'm confused now.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #32

Jage - your not confused you answered both my questions, as i inadvertently asked 2 questions in one question ...... I'm getting confused now!

My first thought was that I've been looking at buying a new Ford E350 4x4 and then take to SMB for their 4x4 conversion, PH, etc. But, if they are replacing the whole stock 4X4 suspension and running gear, it seems like a waste of money to buy a new 4x4 van - I should just get a 4x2? That's my first question.

Second thought was if I had someone else do the 4x4 conversion, like Quadvan, but I want SMB to do PH, XL storage, solar - I should get 4x4 done first?

That's it! Thx
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #33

There is no such thing as a new 4x4 van, they only come 2wd, so some company has to convert it.

But you might save money buying a like new van that has already been converted to 4x4 and having the interior done by SMB (make sure to verify they will convert before buying). Here is an example: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3132

And to your second question, given the choice, all else being even, I would have the PH and interior done first, make sure it's the van you really want, then put the money into the 4x4. Apart from asthetic and "liviablity" conditions (e.g. making sure it is right), final weight is a factor I would want the 4x4 convertor to take into consideration. For a company like Quigley (or SMB) who does 4x4 for SMBs all the time, it's not a factor, but for some other places (S&K) it might be better to have the actual van than estimates of how much it weights.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #34

I didn't know I couldn't buy a 4X4 by Ford from Ford. Now I see that i can buy used 4x2, of which there are plenty. If I can find used 4x4 by SMB or quadvan, that's good too, but I htink it should be 2008 or newer.
Thx for input on conversion process - I get it. The link you sent would be perfect if it was RB and V10 gas - but I bet i can find 2008 or newer 4x2 V10 with low miles.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #35

Last place I'd go is a shop that had never touched a van before????? Sorry Jage. Don't know what Panion spent but the bottom line is you need to deal with an experienced shop big enough to be there in the future if you have problems. You also want the conversion to be as much stock Ford equipment as possible so a Ford dealer can work on it if necessary. You have many options for con version. Do your research...then decide.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #36

I would have said that too- especially since that particular shop wouldn't give me the time of day when I wanted to involve them in some of my own projects. However they really did a great job and having seen it, I can't deny that panions van is the rival of any Quigley conversion at the least. The shop is local so no returning to California for issues, and the inital cost of travel or shipping the van is eliminated, ditto picking it up.

You'll have to ask Panion how much research he put into the place and what criteria he used, and don't get me wrong I'm not saying you should waltz into any fly-by night 4x4 store and hand over your van. I never would have done what he did, and I wouldn't let the people at chain stores (4 Wheel Parts) touch my van for free, even after they did my Jeep lift. But were I doing it again I would certainly consider finding a good independant 4x4 shop to do the conversion because it has been proven successful at least one time already.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #37

I'll tell ya - SMB, Quadvan - you know you're getting quality work. However ....... having a local shop able to do mods/repairs over having to bring to Fresno/Portland is worth a lot. Might be a good topic to do a survey by city/state/whatever on local good quality shops that can at least be counted on to look at our vehicles (I say "our" because one day ..i will) for maintenance/repairs/mods/etc. Of course, this is always done with an eye towards warranty issues.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #38

Warholic,

Thanks for starting this thread!! I'm sure other lurkers like me are learning a lot.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #39

Let me say that this forum is fantastic thx to those who spend the time to respond and share their knowledge and also make this websitre easy to navigate. This SMB forujm is one heck of a community. I agree with you ChuckB.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #40

Warholic, I just bought a 2008 E-350 diesel EB and had Quadvan do the conversion. From what I understand about the Quadvan 4X4 conversions, the whole point of the conversion is that you never have to go back to Quadvan for work unless, God forbid, you break one of the brackets holding the control arms for the frame. Everything is F-350 4x4 parts except for the brackets to connect the control arms to the frame. You can go into any mechanic worth his salt and they should be able to do just about any repair necessary because it IS all Ford parts. Nothing out of the ordinary for them. That being said, if you are going to work with Quadvan, unless you have specific engineering questions, only talk with Blaine. He just bought Quadvan in the last couple months. John McKee, who is a genius and is the originator of Quadvan's system, still does all the engineering and most of the work on the vans, but you will just spin your wheels trying to talk to him. He isn't very good at staying on track when talking vans and, or, money. I have spent many frustrating months dealing with him. That being said, if I had it all to do over again, I would still go to Quadvan for the conversion because after driving a Quigley, I can say the Quadvan is superior, but I would have everything figured out as to what I want done before I started talking business and I would talk only with Blaine. They will do the job right, you just have to be very specific about time constraints. As for the heat, I have had no heat in the cab from the engine and the van is my only car and I have taken it on lots of long drives and in heat.
WillametteValley is offline   Reply With Quote