Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #1

E-350 Barn Doors/Side doors question (Stops)

Hey all,

My SMB does not have the factory door stops for the side doors. I'm guessing this is common with SMB conversions. I live in the Gorge (Windsurfing capital of the world (according to some anyway)), so door control is more of an issue than the ability to swing the doors extra wide. So, instead of hitting the junk yards for the door stops, has anyone come up with a solution that keeps the door from swinging freely and keeps them open when you want? Was thinking gas charged struts, but mounting up a set looks kinda dicey given the floor and door layouts. Thanks.

Wade

Old 06-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Try some bungee cords, webbing or rope!

Zugg

Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #3

Thanks but looking for something a little more perm (plus, I'd trip all over bungee cords and I'd end up spilling my beer).
Old 06-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #4

Garage
My '07 has small hinged latches that lock on to a pin/stop to prevent the doors from opening too much and causing damage. They are easily undone with a couple of fingers to allow more travel. I'm sure you can simply order these parts from a dealer and add them to your doors.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Do they keep the doors open too or just prevent them from banging against the body? Other issue that I didn't mention is when people are bailing out. I've got to instruct everyone how to do it, otherwise the front barn door will hit the passenger door if both are opened at the same time (passenger door hits and scrapes along of the fornt, open, barn door). Got a nice one from that happening.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #6

Thanks all. John provided me step-by-step instructions how to effectively evacuate my head from my butt. Ok, took a little creative license there, but what a dummy I am for not seeing this. He told me to check the door as sometimes the slider ends up in there. Duh, why didn't I think of that? Sure enough, the slider was hiding in plain view. I had figured the PO or SMB had just removed it. It was a pleasent discovery this morning. Took an instant to hook it back up. Well, that takes care of the 60 door. Thanks again John.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #7

Garage
Just click your heels together and say...,.

I had the power all along!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #8

Try the ambulance door holders. i tried to look for them, but i haven't hit the right search combination.
chainsaw5vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #9

Wade,

My side door and passenger door have millimeters of clearance- side door all the way open (about 90º from body), the passenger door just squeeks by without contact- I can imagine throwing the side door open hard when the passenger door is partially open would cause contact, but otherwise there is no issue.

The rear side door opens further, about 120º but it is enough to miss the side window when the vent is all the way open.

So, does this mean my door stops are in place or not? What is the disconnected/connected state then?

Also could you take a photo of the obvious but overlooked door stops (for future generations!)?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #10

you know, I've had a lot of drunk people pile in an out of my van and it never even occurred to me that this might be an issue. I must have the factory stops in place and never realized there was an alternative...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote