Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Lower profile look outside, dark tint and window shades, a recessed/ hidden locker inside, Ravelco (or well hidden fuel cutoff switch) and a loud intrusion alarm with a couple of flashing “armed” LED’s.

This. I agree 100%. Best security is having a nondescript van, and keep all the gear stickers off it too. Those basically tell the thiefs where the good stuff is stashed.

I completely understand the concern however. It's not hard to have $40,000 in bikes in the back of the van. The midship seats at least would keep anybody from unloading them out the front or side doors, and they'd have to get the tire carrier open to get into the back doors. Then they'd have to cut all the locks inside the van securing the bikes. I figure there's no way I'd stop a really determined thief, but I think the hassle would probably persuade them to move on.

My alarm honks the horn twice if the van gets bumped, so I think that's enough alert that the alarm system will sound if they tried to get into it.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
As good as all these deterrents might seem on paper they're really no match for the thief motivated to get your stuff.
I understand that if someone really wants your stuff they’ll find a way. But all these security measures aren’t meant to be a bulletproof security system, but rather layers upon layers of deterrents so the “average” crack head theif will probably give up once they realize they’ll have to put some work in to get my stuff. There are people armed with angle grinders and 34” bolt cutters, but out at a trailhead, miles from civilization, it’s less common than in the city.
I do agree with you on the puck locks being an advertisement for expensive cargo. I might try to find something more discreet.
JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
Site Team

Then there's this option. Only half-kidding.

https://www.armoredcars.com/vehicles...500-cargo-van/

Herb
Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I do agree with you on the puck locks being an advertisement for expensive cargo. I might try to find something more discreet.
You can still use those or at least a variation: https://www.slicklocks.com/ I've used these mostly as a trial, had I not gone with the electronic dead bolts I might have kept them installed.

They're still visible when in place but they're no drill and when removed the brackets are nearly invisible. They're very well made and vehicle specific, install so quickly it'll surprise you.

Another reason for the electronic dead bolts is once they're engaged you simply cannot open any door where they're installed. In the case of bikes etc without cutting hinges off you can't remove anything with doesn't fit through a window opening where the glass has been smashed. These are some of the most impressive theft deterrents I've seen---having had two vans too easily broken into while sitting in my own driveway.

I hope you find something that works---its an on-going battle of us against them.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

I agree about working on the "stealth" principle. It's one reason why I lean towards a conversion van rather than a cargo van. Conversion vans look more like passenger vans and are thus less likely to have valuables inside. A whole crap-load of visible locks on the doors is just an invitation for someone to just steal the entire van so they can open it up under more controlled conditions.

Oddly enough, sliding doors seem to be terribly insecure. Search for "van break-in; UK" for numerous examples. Apparently a really big problem over there.

Electronic dead bolts is an idea I've thought of, since my plan is to cary fairly high-end mtn bikes in the garage area of my van. I've been wondering if such things were already in use. Are there commercially available examples?
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Electronic dead bolts is an idea I've thought of, since my plan is to cary fairly high-end mtn bikes in the garage area of my van. I've been wondering if such things were already in use. Are there commercially available examples?
There are a few variations, I've used two different brands and found these to be the better choice: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-...53.m1438.l2649 Yes these are sold by a seller in the UK and a version of the same thing available here in the USA however I had a bad experience with them being deceitful and refusing to make things right. IIRC correctly they go by "A1 Auto Electric" or something to that effect. A Google search for electronic vehicle dead bolts" should yield a few good choices.

(Here's one of the USA sellers--I'd avoid them but YMMV: https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2...ct_Code=WDB-10 )

I incorporated mine into the aftermarket alarm system so they cannot be engaged without arming that system. That was easy enough for me---its not that tough really.

I installed and used a brand called The Auto Bolt and they're great---until they fail. The problem becomes if they fail in the locked position how do you disengage them to open the door? Short answer is I don't know. I had one or two fail but fortunately in the unlocked position so a simple replacement cured that issue.

The second type I installed and slightly modified with somewhat hidden vinyl wrapped cable pulls to release them in event of a device failure. I've carefully concealed them and might be foolishly thinking anyone who gains access to the interior wouldn't know what or where to look for, perhaps them thinking they could only be disabled with the alarm fob.

Once in place and engaged I've tested the cable pull release, a few times finding it a bit difficult to find it my own self. Once found it works just as designed so I no longer fear being locked out of my own van with or without the alarm fob.

The initial surprise even after the typical key lock is breached and the door still not able to be opened might be enough to dissuade most common thieves from pursuing entry.

I like what I've installed---they might work for others too. Let me know if you have any questions.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #17

No disrespect but do you honestly think that a partition is going to stop someone? If you think, yes, I can assure you that nothing will prevent someone from taking your property.
JPIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #18

If I was in your situation I Recommend that whatever property you keep in the van is insured to it’s true value it would be best to speak with an insurance broker and only them. Not only would I take notes on documentation regarding what you said you are ensuring but also photographs as well. Also with the insurance company agree as to what the value is of the property that you’re ensuring in writing because that’s significant when you have a loss. Ford Econoline’s are one of the easiest vehicles to gain access to so essentially you’re wasting your time thinking that a lock or deadbolt is going to someone.
JPIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote