Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2024, 03:44 AM   #1

E150 Gas Tanks

I recently bought a 1991 E150 Econoline Wagon with two gas tanks. I drove it around bit, not much and figured it was time to fill up the empty gas tanks. I should have only put in a few gallons in each to make sure there were wasn't a leak, but lessons learned. The rear tank has a couple of small leaks (I'd guess maybe a gallon / week drip). I looked into patching but I think I'll be better off just replacing. I view any patch as a short-term fix. It looks like this is a factory 22 gallon tank. My question is, are there larger capacity tanks available and why should I not go that route if I can? The front tank looks dry and I don't see any fuel dripping beneath it. Same questions for that one. I believe that is a 15 gallon tank.

ChadH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:18 AM   #2

Probably not for a van that old. You can find new old stock OEM replacement tanks, maybe, but i don't think anyone makes a tank anymore for vans before 96.

Your options to explore are:
Aerotanks (not listed on their site)
Transfer-flo (no idea
Long Range America (very doubtful)
Ujoint Offroad (even more doubtful)
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Probably not for a van that old. You can find new old stock OEM replacement tanks, maybe, but i don't think anyone makes a tank anymore for vans before 96.

Your options to explore are:
Aerotanks (not listed on their site)
Transfer-flo (no idea
Long Range America (very doubtful)
Ujoint Offroad (even more doubtful)

Rock Auto lists several

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+tank,6268
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
I thought of that later today. I'm a Rock Auto devotee and didn't even think of them for this. That's probably about the only realistic option, actually.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I thought of that later today. I'm a Rock Auto devotee and didn't even think of them for this.
Rock Auto shipping can be a little high, but they have some good deals and I have never had a problem.

Partsgeek on the other hand is on my NOGO list.

They sent me the wrong part and claimed it was my fault. still fighting with the CC company.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #6

Are you sure it is the tank that is leaking? The fill tube on my rig started leaking and dripped down the side making it look like it was the tank.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 10:04 PM   #7

Good idea. I checked after work and it looked like the rear tank had stopped leaking. It was still wet at a couple of places where it looked like it had dripped down from the front to the bottom towards the rear of the van (the lowest point on the tank). I felt around where it looked like it might have been coming from and it was really wet around the seal where the lower half is connected to the top half of the tank.

I decided to the the van for a drive to Rural King, a 25 minute drive away and immediately upon firing the engine, the rear tank read beyond E. The tank is supposed to be a 22 gallon tank and it was on E when I filled it up but it only took a little more than 13 gallons. Either way, the tank leaked at least 13 gallons in less than a week. I'd say the tank is shot. What do you think?
Old 05-09-2024, 11:32 AM   #8

Update, the tanking is dripping like a sieve. It looks like it's coming from the fuel sending unit. It's collecting at the joint until and builds up and flows to the passenger side where the lip at the joint is non existent and drips down from there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20240509_131126_799.jpg