Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

E350 Cover for Outside Storage

Don't have the luxury of indoor storage for my SMB and looking for a cover that will protect it from sun and rain of the winter. Any suggestions on manufacturers with good construction and durability that will also have enough 'slack' to accommodate the solar, racks and pop top?

Thanks.

kitevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

Re: E350 Cover for Outside Storage

A little different than the focus of your post, but because our new place currently only has a one car garage, I have been thinking of adding this for some of our outdoor equipment. It has good ratings even for snow shedding. I don't know if you have a tall top, but if you do you would likely have to add poles to raise the sides by at least four feet. With a 20% off coupon it is $168 w/o tax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17 ... 60727.html

These are where the CampingWorld.com rv covers start online:

http://www.campingworld.com/search/inde ... y=1&Ntpc=1

found at:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...up-to-18/24424

Others may have better experience, but my bad luck with car covers is that they promote rust.

[Good for you, I have a kite, but after a few unsuccessful lessons, I am afraid to use it. At least without more in the middle of the water boat supervised lessons.]
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Not specifically SMB, but I have heard many good reviews of Calmark covers for other small van-type RV's. Not the cheapest, but pretty much everyone who has had one for awhile says they have no regrets. I think that's what I'd be looking at if I were storing outdoors.

That said, for a fixed location and if it is an option, I prefer something that doesn't touch the vehicle. Less chance for chafe and you can get in and out easily and do projects in the extra space (something like a metal/fabric temporary "garage" is what I'm thinking of). Somewhat depends on space available plus snow/wind propensity.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

I had a custom cover made for my ford 350 from California covers. cost 700 dollars. great cover. used it once then found storage for van one block from my house. it fits over my sky box which also has solar panels on top of box. it also was custom to fit over my bike rack that has Velcro to access bike. will sell for half price.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

My 2 cents ..

I did the cheapie route and bought a white 16ft x 24ft tarp from Amazon. I think it costs about $24.99. I fasten it down using bungie cords. It works and isn't particularly pretty but my house is in a small cul-de-sac so most people can't even see it. The sun will likely kill the tarp in a couple of years after which I'll go get another one. Better the tarp than my PH top.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

I am starting my fourth year on a Formosa cover. It has held up well and fits over the solar panels. I usually put a 10x20 tarp under it to make sure no rain gets through. Here is the writeup, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7471&hilit=+cover
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote