Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Electric Heater

On our new Sportsmobile we opted not to have a furnace, but rather the storage space. Our camping never took us into cold weather so the need just wasn't there. Now things are changing and we are starting to look into camping in cooler weather, NOT cold weather. Basically the issue is: we live in the mid-west and and are considering, during the brunt of our winter, escaping to a southern coast(ish) area. We don't put on many miles in one day and would need to spend a night or two in still the coolish climates in route to our destination. Our campgrounds are almost always State or Corp with electric sites.
The question is: With a penthouse top what is the preferred electric heater. If any! And/or any other suggestions.

thanks

garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Electric Heater

When we have shore power ceramic is what we have and seems quite safe. If not we've been using Mr heater and it works great.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Re: Electric Heater

+1 on a small Ceramic heater. Lots to choose from this time of year at any Walmart type establishment. It doesn't matter how efficient it is if you have a hookup. I have one about as foot high by 8" wide that kept the van nice and toasty the time or two we used it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I'd say the same. Without shore power or a generator, you'll have to look into a propane type. If you just need a little heat, they do make some fairly low draw 12vDC electric blankets which might work if you have enough battery supply.
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12voxhefltrb.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

I really don't think there is a preferred. 1000watts is a 1000watts. You do want one with a good build in fan to mix the air and of course the quiter the fan the better.

We have one that has two power levels. 800w and 1500w. There are some out there with 3 power levels.

The penthouse bed does great a dead space and over night the bottom area in our van gets noticeably warmer then the penthouse bed area. In real cold weather we also run a small fan to mix the air between the lower and upper areas.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Garage

We had an old Heat Source ceramic heater that worked well. Also got a new Pelonis variable speed. They all make different kinds of noise. The Heat Source would make a thrumming sound unless we sat it on a rug. The Pelonis makes a buzzing or humming, possibly because of the type of speed controller. I wish I would have tested it before purchasing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

12 volt travel.com You will find 12 volt heaters and electric blankets.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

The difference amperage draw between the 12v blankets and the 12v heaters is huge. Running a blanket that uses about 4 amps is realistic but a 700 watt 12 volt heater pulls around 60 amps would require a very large bank of batteries.
I'm considering a blanket as a heating backup for my Espar. My sleeping bag is rated for -10 and does a good job. Still I understand having a little cab warmth especially in the morning.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #9

We use a Mr. Heater and a small fan for circulation works the best for us. We also bought 2 rolls of insulation material from Camping world which we wrap the inside of the Penthouse. Mr. Heater needs airflow, so crack open a window so oxygen gets in and it also keeps the inside from becoming wet with condensation.
straymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote