Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Emergency roadside service

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
daveb, can I assume you're in the NorCal AAA? If so I dunno why they said I'm NOT covered. Although given the raft of misinformation they've given me I doubt if I'd renew even if they said I was covered. I get different answers depending on who I call, which doesn't inspire trust. Maybe if they ever respond to the email about it....

Maybe we should start a list of good repair shops in case we get stuck in one another's vicinity and need a recommendation, something we could download and put on our phones. I don't need the cheapest or even the best for emergencies, just someone who can do competent work and get me driving again.
Well I do or have kept track of several post of members who like their shops.

As far as AAA, I never have told them it's an RV. Maybe that's key, you think? I don't expect them to pull me out of the backcountry but that would be worth having if any of the providers do such a thing.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
My van is a 7.3 so naturally I have very limited experience with tow trucks but the one time when I blew up the rear end, AAA got me a 20mile tow to Santa Rosa and the driver took me to an excellent rear end shop. No real hassle but it did take a bit of talking to make sure they sent a big enough rig.

And that shop! They replaced both wheel bearings, one axle and all the diff parts in 7 hrs for $1100. The GDMF Ford dealer in Novato had quoted me $3000 and 5 days for the same job.
Near Modesto there is another shop called the Rear End shop who also does fantastic work. But that's all they do.
Dealerships generally kill ya as far as price and more than once they have lied to me. The problem with tow insurance service is you're limited to where they take you. With AAA (& maybe others) I had AAA take my vehicle home rather than the nearest dealership then called Good Sam to take me from my home to the dealership in town the next day.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #23

I have AAA RV Plus.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
The Platinum+ Good Sam policy covers both the owner's autos, motorcycles, trailers and RV. Is there a reason you went with AAA for the car? I'm still thinking double coverage as well, but I'm curious if you've ever considered just going with Good Sam.

Rob
Good Sam for the SMB due to problems encountered by some owners (obviously not DaveB) and AAA for the maps, hotel books, and DMV service.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #25

I'm with DaveB. NorCal AAA (Premier+, up to 200 miles towing) and my 10,000# van has been towed too many times. 50 miles in the Yukon, 50+ miles in Nova Scotia, 125 miles Death Valley to Las Vegas. Everytime I get on the phone with them (Premier+ has a unique Tel Number) I tell them it is a 10K# vehicle and they send adequate equipment and no questions. Maybe the trick is not to call for a tow in the Bay Area.

And another 57 mile tow into Rapid City, SD today. 2 hours later and a new cam sensor I'm on the road - $198 lighter.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I'm with DaveB. NorCal AAA (Premier+, up to 200 miles towing) and my 10,000# van has been towed too many times. 50 miles in the Yukon, 50+ miles in Nova Scotia, 125 miles Death Valley to Las Vegas. Everytime I get on the phone with them (Premier+ has a unique Tel Number) I tell them it is a 10K# vehicle and they send adequate equipment and no questions. Maybe the trick is not to call for a tow in the Bay Area.

Mike
It might be to call the Premier number; I can't recall but I think it might be a different one from the plebian AAA service. Another operator I called was surprised they had excluded me, so maybe it was just an error. (or they thought it was your SMB )

I suspect, however, that whether you get a tow depends on where you break down. Someone from rv.net drew my attention to this language in the SoCal terms; I assume there are similar terms in the NorCal contract:

Quote:
Outside Southern California, Auto Club members are entitled to Roadside Assistance from the local AAA or Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) club servicing the area . Members will be required to pay the independent service provider for any service that the local AAA or CAA club does
not normally provide its members (including RV and motorcycle towing and RV tire change service for those members with the optional RV and Motorcycle Roadside Assistance) . An application for reimbursement of service charges may be submitted to the Auto Club for consideration .
I couldn't find one for NorCal.

And they won't respond to my emails, so I'd rather not trust them. I know the other services (SoCal, Good Sam).
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #27

Decided to go with AAA-SoCal, getting their regular coverage with RV+. Costs $104, and gets you towed 100 miles and some other perks, and covers your motorcycle and trailer too.

If you're interested, contact Rob Sara of their Tustin office at Sara.Rob@aaa-calif.com, or 714-734-4476. He knows RV stuff (my friend with the blown tranny in Mammoth gave me his number; he got it from rv.net). He was super helpful (NorCal AAA still hasn't returned my calls or answered my emails).

Now here's the dealio with the different AAAs: if you are a member in AAA NorCal, they do the dispatching. Which means probably more wait if you're getting towed in SoCal. Since I'm a SoCal member now, that means it may take longer to get my van towed in NorCal. I can still get many of the services of SoCal here in NorCal, but it sorta depends on the office.

But he also explained that I could retain my NorCal membership (although they have annoyed me enough that I may not). That might make it easier to get some local services, and perhaps a faster battery change or whatever on my other vehicles. Dunno if it's worth it, but now that I get the RV+ coverage I can drop my separate motorcycle towing coverage and the amount I'm paying is significantly less in total than my previous Premier membership.

I asked about the clause I'd quoted above; he says that they have moved beyond that in the last two years and that they essentially get you the tow rather than passing it off and doing reimbursement.

Also, the AAA towing benefit is for you, not the vehicle. So if I'm riding in one of your vans, and you don't have ERS, I can call AAA and get us towed. Note that with some other providers the service is tied to the vehicle.

Whew. This was more trouble than breaking down, but I did learn a lot.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #28

I've had good luck with AAA. I'm still a member from the AAA local to my childhood hometown on the other side of the country, not a member where I currently live -- and certainly not wherever I'm traveling. I've had no issues. For the Sportsmobile, I don't say I have an "RV" -- I just say I have a "full size van, converted to 4x4 so I need a flatbed." Luckily I've only needed AAA once for the van.

-- Geoff