Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasBugs View Post
With a full tank of fuel and a full tank of water 10,000lbs on the scale, and no gear, I was a little suprised. Before my next trip I will weigh it and see what the weight is when fully loaded.
Did you reweigh it? Just curious what you found.

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #62

The 1982 I bought for parts was over the GVWR sitting dry and empty.

No idea how Sportsmobile got away with this fib for so long.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #63

Every RV maker used to crank out overweight empty RVs before the E450 and F53 chassis came out.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #64

Angry

My new to me 2002 EB250 SMB has the horrendous "Bump Stear" (?) issue. I feel it is unsafe to drive on an unimproved highway. On right turn, It jumps into oncoming traffic, to left, say hello to a vehicle in right lane.

In attempt to fix the problem, I have learned so much!

In an add on SMB somewhere, they state they drop the bottom and rebuild a bomber 4x4 system. In fact, they sublet all their vehicles out. What you get is the luck of the draw. There are at least 6 builders I found so far.

I tried and tried to find the manufacturer, but SportsMobile records their builds by the purchasers name not a VIN number! What? So I'm 3rd owner of a SMB that I can find no info on. The previous owner bought it 2012 with 40,000 miles on it, but has no clew what the original owners name is. I buy a very nice looking 2002 with 60,000 miles on it, garage kept, that drives ok on improved highway, I start making my way back up to AK and there's where my eyes learned to bug out and my hands learned to cramp while white nuckling on the way home.

Later, I did find a Packet that was from Salem Kroger a builder out of So Cal. Of course out of business. First page has correct info on EB250, no name or VIN number. Second page with specs that state for EB350. Which means there should be a Dana 50 or 60 for front axle. It is not, it is an aftermarket axle with who knows what it in it.

I spoke with a previous SK worker who states ALL of their vehicles left their shop with an aluminum tag riveted on drivers door, that states new GVW. NOTHING there but a blank Ford sticker. However, there's another Ford tag on the jam with original specs. The prior worker said it could not have been done by SK, but thinks he may be able to offer help in fixing my issue.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #65
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Every RV maker used to crank out overweight empty RVs before the E450 and F53 chassis came out.
They went so far with the Toyota chassis that they started breaking axles, with unhappy results.

I looked at a lot of campers before I bought mine, and I was surprised how many (non-SMB) camper conversions there were on E150 chassis. I can't imagine any reasonable camper build that wouldn't put an E150 grossly overweight.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #66

Well, Looks like I was able to find the guy that actually build my front end! He says he has a fix! Anxiously awaiting his reply. I honestly think that a good start (at 60,000 miles), would be replace the 5 shocks. AND, the ball joint that is a tad loose.

We shall see.

Coincidently, the day after I heard back from the original builder, I heard from the guy who sold me the van. He found a box that has all the original paperwork from the original owner plus the second owner. It's on it's way!