Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #1

Espar hydronics, flate plate and V10 gas engine

Hi all - love this forum!
Knowing nothing about this yesterday, I hope I have this right. I plan on the V10 gas engine and will use the flate plate heat exchanger system for hot water. Therefore, the only reason to use the Espar hydronics system is to heat the flate plate without turning on the engine, right?

The hydronics heats the coolant in the radiator / hoses (not the engine) and pumps it thru the flate plate. The flat plate heats up from the hot coolant and transfers the heat to the water, which also runs thru the flate plate. Also, I should make sure SMB installs a mixer valve to add cold water to the "scalding" hot water, thereby able to adjust the temperature of the water coming out of the shower head, right?

From the faucet, it works normal - hot and cold taps.

Lastly, re-read all the threads regarding draining the flate plate, etc. because of freezing, cracking, blah blah blah. Man! Are we having fun yet?

So, do I get an A, or did I fail miserably?

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Espar hydronics, flate plate and V10 gas engine

You got it, War. You don't need any sort of bleeder for the shower, You can adjust the temperature just like a faucet or normal shower. You might want to consider having SMB install a 12v pump in line with the long coolant hose going to the flat plate so you can use the engine heat for some time after stopping without firing up the hydronic.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #3

Gracias Jeffrey - thx for response . Understood on the 12 v pump. BTW, looked at your range rover site - 2002 photos. Nice! Got a little hung up there in one spot, tho. smile
Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by warholic
Hi all - love this forum!
Knowing nothing about this yesterday, I hope I have this right. I plan on the V10 gas engine and will use the flate plate heat exchanger system for hot water. Therefore, the only reason to use the Espar hydronics system is to heat the flate plate without turning on the engine, right?

The hydronics heats the coolant in the radiator / hoses (not the engine) and pumps it thru the flate plate. The flat plate heats up from the hot coolant and transfers the heat to the water, which also runs thru the flate plate. Also, I should make sure SMB installs a mixer valve to add cold water to the "scalding" hot water, thereby able to adjust the temperature of the water coming out of the shower head, right?

From the faucet, it works normal - hot and cold taps.

Lastly, re-read all the threads regarding draining the flate plate, etc. because of freezing, cracking, blah blah blah. Man! Are we having fun yet?

So, do I get an A, or did I fail miserably?

War

The Espar heats the coolant in the engine only. Not the rad. As Jeffery said install the extra pump, its well worth it. We do handle the pump for that as well. Also I see you are going with a gas. Are you having them install a small diesel tank or are they going to get you gas version of the Espar?

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #5

Hi Greg - I would have the Espar run off gasoline - I haven't actually talked to SMB yet because I like to do as much research as possible first. I assume that approach works as well as with a diesel engine. I've read about the pump too - I saw all your comments - and I would consider that for sure. I recall some noise issues with the pump also.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #6

I do have to disagree with Jeffery regarding the shower valve on this one.

Install (or have SMB install) a "Tempering valve" on the system unless you like hot lava waking you up during your morning shower. The flat plate WILL deliver 180 degree water. If you install a tempering valve you can have the high set-point at 120 degrees making the shower valve much easier to adjust and regulate to a comfortable temperature.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1470
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #7

Charlie56 - good info - and no I don't like hot lava except in a lava lamp. I wnet to your post - nice pictures and I'm glad SMB uses blue/red for water lines. I see another item added to my order.
Thx
warholic
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
... I would have the Espar run off gasoline - I haven't actually talked to SMB ...
Check with SMB before you get your heart set on an Espar in a V10 gas. Last I heard, they won't install the gas version[s:3cynsk88], for RV certification reasons[/s:3cynsk88].

I am currently getting a gas Espar installed in a V10, but it's not being done at SMB.

Best of luck with your design.

Brent
Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #9

Hey VWteleman - nice shot of a cold glass of beer. Thx for info - I'll talk to SMB - i'm sure I want the V10 and I want to run the Espar off the engine fuel. Thx
warholic
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
... I would have the Espar run off gasoline - I haven't actually talked to SMB ...
Check with SMB before you get your heart set on an Espar in a V10 gas. Last I heard, they won't install the gas version, for RV certification reasons.

I am currently getting a gas Espar installed in a V10, but it's not being done at SMB.

Best of luck with your design.

Brent

No issues with certification because many others are using gas versions. Its just for somereason they think its more dangerous, which its not.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote