Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 AM   #11

One other negative to the EB is in towing. The added length behind the axle will make it more uncomfortable and insecure towing close to its limit (and a lift will make that worse as well).

-Mike

FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:21 AM   #12

All I can say is "patience". Ford EB vans in good condition can take a while to find. I searched for literally 20 years before stumbling upon my van on Craigslist.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #13

I’m now realizing that I’ll have to sacrifice one or the other and settle for a regular body or settle for a 4.6L.
I can find plenty of low mileage EB with a 4.6L or a RB with a 5.4L but not both.
I really would like to have that extra space. And I won’t be towing more than a couple dirt bikes, I don’t need to be screaming up the mountainside at 75 mph, I’m ok with staying in the slow lane.
So I think I’ll sacrifice the engine size and go for a eb in 4.6
Another thing is time, I got pre-approved through a credit union and the damn pre-approval is only good for 30 days which isn’t long enough to be patient.
JamesO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Are you looking for an E-Series that's been built into an SMB or one to begin your own homebuilt SMB?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Are you looking for an E-Series that's been built into an SMB or one to begin your own homebuilt SMB?
Looking for a bone stock, low mileage, clean eseries that hasn’t been drilled through for ladder racks and such.
I’m going to do the interior build-out myself but will see if Quadvan can do the 4x4 because I’m in Portland, OR and I’m okay working on vehicles but I’m no mechanic and want to make sure it’s done by a pro.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #16

Garage
^^^ being in the Oregon area, you should give expo vans a consideration regarding the 4wd conversion.

https://expovans.com/conversions/e-series/
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #17

Our first SMB was a RB. It was right for the two of us. Our current van is an EB and we love the extra space. Did the interior build ourselves. Am also in the PDX area if you want to look at it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Our first SMB was a RB. It was right for the two of us. Our current van is an EB and we love the extra space. Did the interior build ourselves. Am also in the PDX area if you want to look at it.
I would love to check it out to get an idea of how massive the space is back there compared to a rb.
Which engine do you have in it?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #19

I really, really, really recommend you keep looking rather than settle for the 4.6. You are looking to put in $20k to $40k (or more) into your rig after you buy it, right? An airline ticket and transport is a small amount to add to that to find a v10 or 5.4. You will have far more trouble selling the 4.6 based built van and I venture to guess the discount you will give to sell the 4.6 built rig will far exceed the travel/delivery.

There are lots of members here who are really helpful and qualified to check out a for sale van near them if you find one you like. And there are members here who will drive it to you for gas, a plane ticket and a bit of appreciation.

Visualize your dream rig, write down the details you want (length, engines, options, colors, even location) - be positive about it - start a separate thread for it and see what happens. And be patient and keep looking on Craigslists, RV trader, EBay, here and a couple of other forums There are people here who post links to vans they come across. And there are members who are almost ready to sell and may find your posting just the incentive needs to pass their rig to you without the hassle of listing it. There are more non-posted/PM based rig sales occuring than people realize.

So, put it out there.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #20

Be patient and wait for the one you want. I couldn't do an RB body. If anything, I wish mine were slightly longer.

You are correct about the lack of vans in Portland. 4x4 E350s have become somewhat trendy in the NW, and the EB-V10 has pretty much become the gold standard. But once you go outside the PNW, it seems like sellers don't realize what they have! So beside being able to find one in the first place, they tend to sell for a fairer price. V10s in Portland seem to carry a decent price premium over blue book values.

If you don't need to tow heavy, the 5.4L is fine as long as you gear it right. But... even if you don't need the extra power, the silky smooth idle of the V10 is pretty nice in case you need stationary power or heat. IMO the 4.6L is too small for a camper, outside of a minimalist build.