Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

Filling van gutters to prevent rust

Hey I have ready/seen many gutters rust out in my area (New Jersey) and I was wondering if any of your guys have filled the van gutters with a type of sealant or something to prevent rusty gutters? If so what did you use? Or maybe what would you recommend?

Thanks

Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

I had an annoying roof leak in my old Patrol that I traced down to the rain gutter (couldn't even see the cracks but the water was making its way.)

I used a marine sealer (the type that can be applied underwater) and never had an issue after that. They have them in different color too which is helpful. It remains flexible and lasts!

Cheers
David
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I had an annoying roof leak in my old Patrol that I traced down to the rain gutter (couldn't even see the cracks but the water was making its way.)

I used a marine sealer (the type that can be applied underwater) and never had an issue after that. They have them in different color too which is helpful. It remains flexible and lasts!

Cheers
David
Thanks I appreciate the reply! Any specific type of marine sealer? I'm going to look around I don't have any experience with this stuff.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #4

Rust is like cancer, it must be completely removed or it fester underneath and when you see it... that's bad.
If done properly, the typical paint process should be more than adequate.
Speaking of which... I need to clean up one corner of my rain gutter before it turns nasty.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Try Dicor Lap Sealant 501. Comes in white, tan and possibly gray.
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

I just picked up a quart of Through The Roof sealant for this very reason. It is a product made by Sashco that can be found in better lumber yards and home building supply. Or here: Robot Check

I am going to fill the cracks in my gutters with that, then Rhino line the penthouse and gutters.
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #7

i just bought a brand new van and wanted to do some preventitive maintenance to keep it from happening mostly
Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

I know I started this thread a while back but wanted to hear of updates from anyone. How their sealer choice is holding up. What would they change or do differently. Any new products they would use.

My van is almost brand new 2014 the top gutters are immaculate, and I want to do some preventative maintenance to prevent rust from forming. I was thinking of filling in the gutters flush so water couldn't/wouldn't sit in there. What do you guys think about that? Or should I just keep washing and waxing regularly? Maybe add some more clear coat to thicken it a bit? I've heard/read that a major cause was bc they didn't paint/clear the roof as thick and that caused some problems?

Any input would be great bc I'm looking to do it this spring. Thanks
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

If your van is new just make sure the gutters stay clean. And there should be little or no problems down the road.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote