RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fire in the Hull

So Pete, what exactally (the part of the van) did the hot post contact? Was the battery secured correctly? In the past SMB used zip ties but I don't know who did your install. Even SMB mounts them in various locations. Obviously clearance is a concern with your problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
So Pete, what exactally (the part of the van) did the hot post contact? Was the battery secured correctly? In the past SMB used zip ties but I don't know who did your install. Even SMB mounts them in various locations. Obviously clearance is a concern with your problem.
Hard to describe it exactly, but it was a part of the body, not the frame. There was a space cut out in the sheet metal between the frame and the outside of the body, where the battery fit in. It was an SMB install. The post hit a metal edge that was left in the space. There was no zip ties, as was mentioned above, it appeared that the battery was just held in by gravity. That said, any securing on the top of the battery wouldn't have done anything, I jammed it so far up into the body, that it didn't matter. I think the only thing that possibly could have stopped it, was if there was some type of cover over the top of the battery to shield the metal to metal contact. Even that, could have easily been compromised by the amount of force I put on it.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I think having a cover is good to help keep debris off the battery but a tie down is very important. Even any non conducting bar and a couple of bolts if that would work. Generally SMB puts batteries in marine battery boxes and those usually have lids. Possibly with your design it wouldn't fit. But even if the battery in in a box, unless there is a strap around the whole thing the battery can jump out of the box if only the box is tied down. Here are some typical solutions that might help... just depends if you can fit something in:

Battery tie downs and boxes

Also maybe you can put some kind of Lexan barrier in between. Still it's best for the battery to be secured somehow

Good luck

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #14

Update, here are some photos of my "damage".

I was able to get a new set of nerf bars from ICI, they don't have the steps in the same places, but they bolted right up, $160 for the pair, now I have a spare one for when I trash the one on the other side.

The new battery box I got from SMB, didn't fit my old mounting space, so had to drill some new holes. That was $150. Then a new Interstate battery, $200. All told, a $500 mistake, good times!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20120906-00131.jpg   IMG-20120906-00132.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #15

I'm not even 4WD, but the lack of space/distance between battery posts and frame bothered me too when I built my box. When I was jacking it up in to place, I took several sections of old radiator hose (thick rubber) and zip tied them different ways all around my posts and associated lugs. It's ugly but I think it will keep any metal from ever contacting the terminals. Just an idea for an easy fix......
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #16

The radiator hose would have been a good idea. I wrapped both terminals in electrical tape, not as thick. I do think that what happened was a pretty freak occurance, and was mostly my error in not getting out and looking at my situation before just plowing on. I will be more careful when faced with a similar situation in the future.