Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2022, 01:07 AM   #51

There have been many great responses to your post. Glad to see that there are rational people here and it didn't degrade into a pro/anti gun poop-show.

About me: I like shooting guns, own a few, built a couple, they interest me from a skill standpoint, but I don't consider myself a "gun nut." Gun thinking doesn't dominate my life. I have a CCW permit because I have a lot of expensive camera gear with me when I camp.

Here are my thoughts about your OP:
  • Long guns such as normal size or even short shotguns and rifles would be hard to maneuver with in a SMB. A pistol or revolver would be a better option, IMO.
  • There is a valid argument for something like a Taurus Judge handgun: It's extremely compact compared to a shotgun or rifle, has the reliability of a revolver, and a versatility of ammo.
  • You mention that you will be "skirting California" in your travels. Does that you mean that you will be making occasional trips into CA, or avoiding it entirely? CA has a ton of restrictions on what firearms you may possess even if you are just a visitor. Be sure to check CA laws before entering the state while armed.
  • If you haven't done so already, or are already familiar, please at least take a gun safety course.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #52

Garage
Bear spray

A firearm, in my opinion is too likely to be turned against you and regardless of training to unlikely to hit your mark in the heat of the moment.

Bear spray NOT a little jogger’s mace, will blow away pretty much anybody. I keep one just above the driver’s seat. I also have one in the kitchen pantry and in the way back under the bed. We happen to have several from bear country trips, it can be spendy to buy several. But it will a whole lot
Less expensive than shooting someone.

Be safe, have fun, and know that 99.9% of folks are good natured just like you.
austineats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by austineats View Post
A firearm, in my opinion is too likely to be turned against you and regardless of training to unlikely to hit your mark in the heat of the moment.
I read a lot of news reports telling of people successfully using a firearm to defend themselves. Reports of someone having their own firearm used against them are almost nonexistent. And "unlikely to hit your mark" on a man-sized target at point-blank range is a laughable claim.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:15 AM   #54
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoole View Post
JWA, I'm very sorry for your experience and loss, and thank you for sharing and for a most thoughtful reply.
Let me first say congratulations on your spidey senses being on alert in the scenario you described. When we give our instincts credence they personify the phrase "forewarned is fore armed". Even if its just a form of minor paranoia its better to be wary than surprised, thinking or hoping all of humanity is benign and harmless.

I'm happy to share my event if it can be accompanied by a lesson of sorts, attempting to illuminate some aspects of personal defense via a firearm. It's not something most people care to think about much less openly discuss.

On occasion I've been asked what thoughts or feelings my actions that
day are still with me. Being 100% honest I'm somewhat disappointed in myself NOT taking action quicker, that had I acted more on my instinct and to a very minor point the training I'd received my wife would have been spared. Its probably no surprise if such a time ever happens again hesitation will not be part of the scenario.

Keep in mind that thought is due the noticeable increase in general crime where assailants are armed and seemingly not hesitant themselves to taking a life if it furthers their agenda. I like to believe my past experience would serve me much better today because I know someone else might be in jeopardy if *I* don't act decisively immediately.

I will add in the time since any dwelling I will visualizing how I'd self-defend against an intruder. Points of aim I'd take in order to eliminate the threat AND avoid stray bullets from wrecking havoc outside my home's walls. Not many who would be new to firearms or their use would do such a thing which puts them at a disadvantage, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I read a lot of news reports telling of people successfully using a firearm to defend themselves. Reports of someone having their own firearm used against them are almost nonexistent. And "unlikely to hit your mark" on a man-sized target at point-blank range is a laughable claim.
Not being too snarky but until you've been in an adrenaline-fueled self-defense situation where "fight or flight" becomes reality the effects thereof can and do play hell on your physical reactions and perceptions. Its almost too elaborate to discuss so know that in nearly every self-defense shooting it takes an average of three shots on target to physically stop an assailant.

Keep also in mind many, many law enforcement people who rarely shoot their weapons in any scenario more often than not miss their targets. We assume our armed uniform responders are proficient with their weapons and yet they're not. If it were laughable missing a man-sized target were improbably missing a target would not be as frequent or common as it is out in the real world.

I'll sheepishly admit I'm overwhelmed in the positive by the rational, level-headed conversation we're having about this almost always contentious topic. I can't be sure what I expected but am so pleased at the track we've taken so far. Well done us!

Quote:
Thanks for being honest and with massive respect that mindset is just one reason to avoid owning a firearm.

Quote:
Bear spray NOT a little jogger’s mace, will blow away pretty much anybody. I keep one just above the driver’s seat. I also have one in the kitchen pantry and in the way back under the bed. We happen to have several from bear country trips, it can be spendy to buy several. But it will a whole lot
Less expensive than shooting someone.
Since you're comfortable with that as your defense its nearly perfect for you. I have no experience with using any sort of "spray" towards an aggressor so I'd be far less comfortable with deploying it at anytime.

Quote:
Be safe, have fun, and know that 99.9% of folks are good natured just like you.
I agree with most of that---much of the time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:32 AM   #55

Regarding bear spray. My only experience with it was on my bicycle. After being knocked off my bike once out in the country and getting a fair amount of road rash, I decided to get some bear spray and take it with me. The next time the beast started chasing me, I tried to get it out and use it. Wound up getting most of it on me and none on the beast. Guess you need to practice with it also.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:03 PM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Instead of attacking other options that may differ from yours, a more constructive approach might be to simply offer your experiences. Negativity serves no one. Allow those who ask the question to process responses themselves.
austineats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO View Post
I believe the odds of me being killed are greater when I’m carrying weapons. I’d rather carry an air horn for personal protection... Your odds are better unarmed from my perspective.

I respect your right to share your point of view, and for you to use your firearms as sporting good like a set of golf clubs or tennis racket, locked in your safe or closet when not at the range.

Your odds of what are better if you are unarmed? Surviving an attack from an assailant? (2 or 4 legged) Not shooting yourself by accidental discharge?

For the life of me, this perspective makes no sense to me.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #58
JRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I respect your right to share your point of view, and for you to use your firearms as sporting good like a set of golf clubs or tennis racket, locked in your safe or closet when not at the range.

Your odds of what are better if you are unarmed? Surviving an attack from an assailant? (2 or 4 legged) Not shooting yourself by accidental discharge?

For the life of me, this perspective makes no sense to me.
I have no fear of being attacked. I think the odds of being attacked are minuscule. When I am carrying a weapon my odds of attacking someone or putting myself in a position of being attacked rise.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:04 PM   #59
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
I have no fear of being attacked. I think the odds of being attacked are minuscule. When I am carrying a weapon my odds of attacking someone or putting myself in a position of being attacked rise.

That's quite disturbing and another reason owning a firearm is NOT for everyone. Such ownership and potential use is as much a mental/emotional practice as it is a physical action.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:33 PM   #60

Quote:

Ah, I see.

With great power, comes an equally great responsibility, not to be taken lightly.