Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Still never have hauled my Porta pottie (I'm scared of it) and use wag bags if needed instead. I guess it's either dealing with the cleaning and dumping of a PP or hauling and dumping the wag bags. Both are not pleasant to deal with but it's fairly easy to find a trash dump to get rid of the bags. One question is why do the PP manufactures suggest "RV T-paper"? That alone is enough for me to not use it or is that only for the marine type heads that have an external holding tank? On a trip I took last year with another member, it took Steve some time to clean out his porta pottie and he had to use a stick to get stuff to flow out of it. Confirmed I really don't want to mess with the thing.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #22

I value my PETT wag bag set up very much. Seal, zip and toss by the respective depositor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #23

Man, everyone sure is chatty about such a shitty subject. Can't we argue about gas vs. diesel or something?

I know, I don't have to read it, but if it's this crap or the news I'm still going to read this crap.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Since I am the designated PP manager, and we go on six week van trips, I (we) have learned a lot and have user rules:

#3 If we are going through elevation changes - leave the blade valve just ever so slightly unlatched a bit to allow for air pressure changes.
If you wonder what constitutes sufficient elevation change, the PP will let you know when you flush.

Our PP is also a critical piece of equipment. As I've noted in other posts, SMB built a cover for ours and it serves as an Ottoman. It's the perfect height for sitting at the stove or sink.

I'm always surprised by folks who don't like the idea of using a PP. Reminds me of a camping trip with my daughter-in-law. We hiked a mile +/- from a campground to be a bit more isolated. She would hike back to the campground to use its overused facility rather than walk a short distance, dig a cat hole and do what comes naturally. (Squatting works far better than sitting, IMO. Sorry for the continued details, Scotty.) City slickers, greenhorns or tenderfeet is what we call folks like that hereabouts.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
I'm always surprised by folks who don't like the idea of using a PP.
Has something to do with the old adage, "Don't sh*t where you sleep."
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #26

Garage
After having slept in too many boat cabins where the previous owners clearly felt comfortable with that left-over holding tank "aroma" that never quite goes away, we have a rule when we tow the trailer: #1 in the potty, #2 in a wag bag. In the van, I use a folding Pett wag-bag setup for everything. Very simple, clean and, in 30 years, I've never had to empty a nasty porta potty or stinky holding tank. That's just ain't for me.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
After having slept in too many boat cabins where the previous owners clearly felt comfortable with that left-over holding tank "aroma" that never quite goes away, we have a rule when we tow the trailer: #1 in the potty, #2 in a wag bag. In the van, I use a folding Pett wag-bag setup for everything. Very simple, clean and, in 30 years, I've never had to empty a nasty porta potty or stinky holding tank. That's just ain't for me.

Ditto that man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Has something to do with the old adage, "Don't sh*t where you sleep."
That's why we dig cat holes if we don't have an exterior option, an important item I didn't mention earlier. The PP has been pressed into emergency service but that's happened only a couple of times in the five years we've travelled in our SMB. The liners mentioned in this thread will be added to our contingency storage for those occasions.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
(Squatting works far better than sitting, IMO. Sorry for the continued details, Scotty.) City slickers, greenhorns or tenderfeet is what we call folks like that hereabouts.

Don
No worries, Don. I was mostly joking. It's just funny what threads don't gain any traction and which ones leave skid marks.

We always carried our PP in our van. Now it's sitting idle in the garage, probably full of chemical and hopefully nothing else. Being male and hiking alot, I'm actually just fine running off in the woods but if my wife and daughter start traveling with me in the van again I'm sure it will go too.

For about two years I had the same old Mcdonald's cup wedged in my Aluminess tire carrier behind the tire. It saw lots of parking lot use.........and no one ever knew it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
... it took Steve some time to clean out his porta pottie and he had to use a stick to get stuff to flow out of it. Confirmed I really don't want to mess with the thing.
A stick??? Sounds like operator error as in failing to: 1. Use enough holding tank additive, and 2. Not enough water when flushing. I guess if PP is only used for #2 that could lead to that type of problem along with too much paper?