Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #51

Personally i think youre all making far to big of a deal out of a simple flat tire. Ever hear the story about the truck that got stuck under a bridge because its load was to tall? No one could figure out how to get it unstuck until a little kid told them to let the air out of the tires.

Unless you blew up your engine at the same time your tire went flat you could simply drive the vehicle on top of something to lift that side a sufficient distance that allows you to get your jack under it, a block of wood, the curb, a pile of dirt, any number of things.

Or you could just get yourself one of these if you have onboard air ....

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Or you could just get yourself one of these if you have onboard air ....
specs for this air jack:
Air operated
3,500 LB. capacity
Minimum height - 6 1/4"
Maximum height - 15"
Dimensions - 13 1/4" W x 20" L
Air requirements - (90 - 110 PSI)
Shipping Weight - 56 lbs.
cost $360++

Specs for Hummer 1 Jack / Agile adapter combo:
over 17" lift
min height around 6"
dimensions around 20" x 7"
3500 lbs
weighs maybe 20lbs
cost jack $50 to $120
adapter $90
Once placed under vehicle you operate it without getting back under the vehicle.
Agile adapter has really nice cradle for round axle casings / flat surface for frame/other. Super solid unit w gearing that makes lifting very easy. if you want to go really easy - follow JWA's lead and get a cordless impact driver and adapt it to the crank bar end instead of using the manual ratchet handle.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
if you want to go really easy - follow JWA's lead and get a cordless impact driver and adapt it to the crank bar end instead of using the manual ratchet handle.
I seem to remember when Ramsey welded an adapter to turn his jack with a battery impact, but he discovered that it didn't work for some reason. Perhaps it wasn't powerful enough, but I think that's a great idea. Personally, I carry two jacks, the factory one and a hydraulic bottle jack. In addition, I have an assortment of wood blocks used to level the van, or to put under the jack as needed. I've changed flats more than once on differing surfaces like sand, soft dirt etc, and have always been successful. If the factory jack is too tall to start, you can just dig a little hole. If it then won't lift up high enough, block the axle up with the bottle jack, and slip some blocks under the other jack.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #54
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Hey 1der----thanks for posting the spec's comparing the Hummer jack with the inflatable device---that's quite telling. And no one's making too big a deal of "simple" flat tires---not every instance is as easy as we'd like. For those who might be off-road having tools that are human-powered make the most sense.

While I do carry cordless impact tools I also have manual tools in case the first choice tools aren't available for whatever reason. My Hummer jack with included cranking tools are very easily deployed and put into use, mostly its the lug nuts that would be most challenging. Of course my hand tools are a 3/4" drive 24" long ratchet so they're not that much of a challenge.

With those tools on-board I'm not dependent on anything other than my own power---can't say the same for battery powered or pneumatic devices.

For me being overly prepared even for the most unlikely events is still not fully prepared for me.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:01 AM   #55
JWA

Quote:
I have onboard air that runs at 140 PSI for the air suspension on my E-350 so to me its a matter of plugging an air hose in, doesnt get any easier than that.
Good for you---and what about those who DON'T have on-board air?
Old 08-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #56
JWA

Quote:
Is there a reason you feel a need to get angry and start an arguement? I dont recall this post being labeled "Dont comment if you have an easier way of doing things".
Just asking a question dude---no need to assume there's any anger asking is there?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #57

I thought using power tools on the H1 jack was not advised. Something about stripping the gear or something?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
For me being overly prepared even for the most unlikely events is still not fully prepared for me.
Ya, it's the same for me too. It's why I carry stuff like a spare belt tensioner and belt, ujoints, fuel pump, coils, fuel injectors, a come along, a bunch of ratcheting tie downs, a full kit of electrical tools and parts, about 50 lbs of tools, and so much more. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse too, since I just added a full float. Better safe than sorry seems to really add up the weight and available space though.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #59
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I thought using power tools on the H1 jack was not advised. Something about stripping the gear or something?
The H1 jack is just one HD scissor jack with one threaded rod and pivoting female threaded point raising or lowering the jacking point on top. It would be somewhat very difficult to damage it unless it were already severely damaged from another time.

IF a power tool were to be be used proceeding slowly would be the key to easy lifting and not damaging the jack itself. Honestly though during my "testing" I purposely used just one hand on the included ratcheting handle and didn't sweat too much.

My E350 is quite a bit lighter than the 6K pounds the H1 is rated to lift. My jacking points probably not exceeding or even approaching 3K each, one wheel at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Ya, it's the same for me too.....I'm afraid it's only going to get worse too, since I just added a full float. Better safe than sorry seems to really add up the weight and available space though.
I'll bet also like me your "go pack" has been borne of past times where something easy to fix went wrong but we didn't have the needed parts.

The only thing I don't carry--and should--would be a compliment of coolant hoses, clamps and such. No less than 10' of hose, upwards of 10 screw clamps and maybe one or two Dorman Quick Disconnect heater hose connectors.

So far--knock on wood---I've not required the spares I do carry but as you say AT better safe than sorry.