Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #21

If the E-series is still #3 when Ford is only offering the cutaway and chassis cab, I can only imagine it would be #2 or even #1 if they were still offering cargo and window vans.

Which, again, why kill a product line when it's still so popular?

Sure, if sales drop in the projected future, kill it then. But now? That just seems dumb.

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #22

The Transit is the long term future for Ford vans. I have one on order now and can't wait to start building it out. I believe it will be a great platform for the plans I have.

I'd love to do a body swap onto new E350 stripped chassis though... Keep the E-series alive but totally refreshed with the V10 and 6-speed.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The Transit is the long term future for Ford vans. I have one on order now and can't wait to start building it out. I believe it will be a great platform for the plans I have.

I'd love to do a body swap onto new E350 stripped chassis though... Keep the E-series alive but totally refreshed with the V10 and 6-speed.

I look forward to those build threads!!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #24

As do I. I've thought of this too. Why not take decent Econoline bodies, of which there are no shortage , and put them on new Cutaway frames? There are thousands and thousands of worn out Econolines in the Southern half of the U.S. that still have fine, if not slightly dented, bodies, free of rust. It's the drivetrains that wear out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
As do I. I've thought of this too. Why not take decent Econoline bodies, of which there are no shortage , and put them on new Cutaway frames? There are thousands and thousands of worn out Econolines in the Southern half of the U.S. that still have fine, if not slightly dented, bodies, free of rust. It's the drivetrains that wear out.

The E350 stripped chassis is even cheaper than the cut away and less stuff to get rid of once you're done.

Who wants to step up and do this?
Old 12-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #26

Quote:
The E350 stripped chassis is even cheaper than the cut away and less stuff to get rid of once you're done.

Me.

Just gotta get a business name so Ford will let me have the frame and cab solid models and I am on my way. There's a million ways to skin a roll cage. Plus, you showed us that anything is possible. Already started a cage layout in Solidworks so I can get a general sense of the weight. Body builders book has the hole locations for the cross members and a line drawing of the outer profile of the cutaway. I would stick with the cutaway myself, too much stuff I will never understand up front.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Me.

Just gotta get a business name so Ford will let me have the frame and cab solid models and I am on my way....
I've been trying for years to get solid models of the body. Not likely to happen with Ford. I know the frame is available because I have that model. I got one step closer to nearly unlimited access to manufacturer's CAD data this week but not quite yet. Maybe after the new year.

Takes more than a business name...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
I've been trying for years to get solid models of the body. Not likely to happen with Ford. I know the frame is available because I have that model. I got one step closer to nearly unlimited access to manufacturer's CAD data this week but not quite yet. Maybe after the new year.

Takes more than a business name...

I'm sure. I asked too, they were considerate and replied. I totally get it why they wouldn't though. Good luck to you with that one. I am sure it would make life a lot easier. I did see some Ford approved rendering models for about 100 bucks. They look to be fairly accurate but lack a lot of detail. This could suffice for doing a rear body:

Surely I am talking out of my butt here, but I am gonna do some preliminary design work and have my buddy who is an industrial designer look it over. Again, just wanna see how complicated it gets and how much it weighs and how much material costs go into it. You get a lot of opportunities to do things like open up the wheel wells for better articulation, develop better storage all around the body inside and out, a big more width on the body, little things that would make the interior build very clean.

I can dream it anyway!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #29

Quote:

You know I do. Already have a 7.3 I'd love to drop a new chassis on.

I'd also do an SMB Classic style setup in a minute if they'd sell the rear cabin separately. I really don't want SMB converting a van for me. I think I could do a lot better on my own, for less money, and with better parts...starting with your 4WD kit, for example.

The thing is...these nice chassis 86Scotty mentions. I've been looking, and I haven't found one. 08+ if you know where one is, Eric!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
If the E-series is still #3 when Ford is only offering the cutaway and chassis cab, I can only imagine it would be #2 or even #1 if they were still offering cargo and window vans.

Which, again, why kill a product line when it's still so popular?

Sure, if sales drop in the projected future, kill it then. But now? That just seems dumb.
Alan Feld told me Ford was confident the full body Econoline could not last against better mileage unibodies. They wanted to insure their market share by bringing in the Transit, which had been very successful in Europe for 40 years. The number of Class C motorhomes built on the E-450 justifies its continuance. Some of those things are really big and very heavy. They lengthen the beefy frame and that V10 is able to pull those big things.
Attached Thumbnails
013b.jpg  
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote