Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #21

Usually the pop-tops have a significant premium over hard tops, at least from what I've seen. Lots of converters make hard-top vans, but there aren't that many pop-tops out there...

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #22

I'm a hard top fan, and I'd say 2wd is better for a hard top and 4 better for a pop top, mostly due to overall height when offroading. I would NOT say the hard top is worth the several thousand in price. If you look at it from a build perspective a hard top might cost you a couple grand when a pop top cost 6k or more.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
1993 Dodge in Cali asking $6000. 100K mis. Pop top.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/5788014368.html

Your call...

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
That link didn't work for me, but I think I found the same one here...

Class B SportsMobile Camper
Old 09-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
That's a sweet Dodge!
Really dig that one.....

(Btw --- not sure if it's still listed or not, but there was a super-deal (it was still listed on Craigslist a few days ago, anyway) on a dark green pop-top Dodge that I think was somewhere up in the Pac NW. Looked like a '98 or newer shorty with the SMB Pop-up penthouse roof and bed, but built with a pretty standard-issue basic passenger-carrying conversion van interior (lots of woodgrain, LED light strings, and a row or two of forward-facing/folding bench seats...) -- but it was pretty low miles and they only wanted $3k for it. It had been listed for quite a while before that (with no bites, apparently) for about $6k.)
Here it is...

Sportsmobile 1998 Dodge Ram $3500 obo
Old 09-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #25

Thank you everyone for the time and help. I emailed the owner of that 1993 selling for 6K. It sounds like that would be a much better deal assuming everything is solid. It seems like the one I originally posted is so overpriced its probably not even worth making an offer on.
Adam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
Thank you everyone for the time and help. I emailed the owner of that 1993 selling for 6K. It sounds like that would be a much better deal assuming everything is solid. It seems like the one I originally posted is so overpriced its probably not even worth making an offer on.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Yes!
Seriously. Dude.
That sounds like a ridiculously awesome deal.

$3500 or best offer.
Seems like the OP is hunting for a properly-built-out SMB camper (with all of the self-contained niceties such as sink/stove/refrigerator/cabinetry etc....) but that's a great deal for someone looking to do some kind of transformer setup (or the like) with a basic (yet comfortable) van that has the sweet SMB penthouse top in place.

(For that price.......I find myself seriously (almost) considering getting that as a *second sportsmobile*....one that could be driven every day...make it the daily driver..... (while the other one is constantly getting tweaked/fixed/modified for ever-sweeter adventure.....)....have two license plate frames made, one for each van....that both say "my other car is a Sportsmobile".....)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #27

That does look really cool. I honestly dont need much more than a bed and some storage. Too bad its all the way up in Washington...
Adam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #28

The 1993 has propane, but no mention of a heater. Something to consider if you plan on using this van where it can get cold at night.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #29

Quote:
The 1993 has propane, but no mention of a heater. Something to consider if you plan on using this van where it can get cold at night.
Yep - don't see a furnace or a furnace vent, but we can't see the passenger side of the van.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Also --- looks like the ad for that 1993 in San Diego **just** got pulled down by its seller. Might be sold?

(At least when I click on that ad for the $6k 1993 now....and refresh my browser/cookies....it shows the CL script "This ad has been deleted by the seller.")

UPDATE:
Ok, it's still live....but the seller apparently re-posted the ad (with a new link) about six hours ago. Now shown in Rancho Cucamonga....hmmm. Maybe he's driving around and randomly camping with it, until someone can catch him and throw six bills at him.

Class B SportsMobile Camper - $6000 (Rach Cmga)
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/5789012155.html
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote