Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Re: Front mounted spare tire?

I bet if you could get some wreckeres or craiglist rim with a nice open design -better air floor as a front spare? could help with temps..

Old 04-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Fish wires??
We put rear receivers on two of my buddies vehicles...an F150 and a Ford Edge. At least one of the kits (I think for the Edge) had fish wires that you used to fish the mounting bolts into place in the unibody/frame. They were music wire type about 8" long with a spiral end that threaded on to the bolt that you were trying to fish through the frame holes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Curt/C583 ... fgoduHgAIQ
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Fish wires??
We put rear receivers on two of my buddies vehicles...an F150 and a Ford Edge. At least one of the kits (I think for the Edge) had fish wires that you used to fish the mounting bolts into place in the unibody/frame. They were music wire type about 8" long with a spiral end that threaded on to the bolt that you were trying to fish through the frame holes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Curt/C583 ... fgoduHgAIQ
Ah, thanks. Thought it was something with the tire rack, not the receiver.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #14

Yes, that's exactly it. Wire with a coil on one end, coil wraps around the screw/washer and holds it, you "fish" the assembly into the frame and over to/through the hole you want. It was a bit tricky because on my frame, the only place I could get the assembly in was a gap fairly far from the hole. So it was a long fish. Or, with our vans, you remove the front bumper and have easy access to the whole works (if you aren't in a campground trying to look innocent )

I have the usual "eight hand hole" steel rim, and (interestingly), I couldn't see any difference on the Scangauge when I had the rim "wide open," vs. when I had the continental cover on it (solid cover clamped in place by a metal perimeter band). It would be fun to see how it all works in some sort of wind tunnel visualization dealie. I can only think maybe the solid tire somehow causes air to speed up around it and so you end up around the same either way (but then too, maybe there is a difference and I just wasn't able to detect it). In the end, I wasn't fond of the way the continental cover looked on the front anyway, so I now have one made of a mesh like Phifertex. But I may go to a solid vinyl cover. If so, I'll see if I notice any change.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #15

Using this wheel will,,,,
Keep the air moving.
Turbine wheels!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

I always wanted spinners...throw on some HammerTime and it's retro-van!

I'll see how the front works; can always move to the back in the future. BTW, I had to make flag bolts by welding onto the bolt heads; the problem wasn't only fishing them into the frame rails, but securing them so I could tighten 'em.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #17

I don't remember having that problem, but I can't remember if it's just because I managed to get a wrench in there (seems unlikely) or if they were carriage bolts into square holes in the frame, or...? All I remember is that it all seemed easy after I fished the bolts in there.

Okay, I had to find out! So I looked at a copy of the Draw Tite instruction sheet which I had saved. Now I remember. The Draw Tite front hitch uses 1/2" carriage bolts to secure it to the frame, then the nuts and lock washers are on the outside (facing the ground). Of course the holes in the frame are round. So DT include some rectangular "washer plates" that have square holes in them. The plates and bolts go inside the frame tubing, and because of their shape, the plates can't turn. Then you put the nuts/washers on the outside and torque them to 75 foot pounds - no need to "hold" the inside part -- but the plates plus bolts are why it is a bit of a challenge to fish them in (but removing the bumper gives full/easy access).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #18

OK, got a carrier. Initial mount got it there, but I don't have enough tongue in the receiver (just enough + maybe 1" to drill a new hole at the rear. Might work, but I dunno.

So I threw on an extension I had. Actually like it better since it raises the tire and sort of matches the angle of the grill guard. But it stands off quite a bit. If I saw off some tongue on the carrier (it hits my winch fairlead), and a bit off the top tube of the extension, and drill new holes to get back as far as possible, I can push it back perhaps 2". I was thinking of going more, but OTOH it isn't affecting my angle of attack any more than it has already. And maybe better air flow. I'm wondering if there are regulations on blocking the drivers' view, but it doesn't seem to; if I were a foot shorter I might not even see it.

It does look kinda strange, sticking out and all. But although I could probably make it fit without the extension (I'd have to put something between the wheel and the plate that holds it, probably some drilled 2" tube to stand it off that much more), the tire would then stick out almost as far, but lower down, which is just about the right height to hit the rear end of some Ferrari. Ouch.

Suggestions?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #19

That looks pretty good. I would like it closer in too, but out like that might work better as far as wiggling behind it to check things under the hood. Can you post a pic from a further distance back (profile) to see better what it looks like?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltom
Using this wheel will,,,,
Keep the air moving.
Turbine wheels!
Love that design