Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Garage
Front Wheel fell off after oil change

Drivers side front wheel fell off after Dealership had removed it to complete an oil change.
Hard to keep this short, but here we go:
Had local dealer do my oil change (as I have done 7 other times now - I buy the Amsoil & filters, they charge $69 do the oil change). They really are a nice group of people, and have been very accommodating on numerous occasions.

So they completed the oil change and I drove away, suddenly (about a block away) the front of the Van dipped sharply and immediately began to make an alarming loud grinding noise. Obviously I had no idea what was going on at the time and instinctively started to brake...at the same instant my front wheel passed me by & I realized what happened! - they failed to tighten the lug nuts!

General Manager has been extremely accommodating: they are replacing all the lug nuts on all tires (because they cant immediately match the current set), over-nighted two new Rotors & brake pads from California (I have the Bigman brake system and their are doing both sides of the FE since it's not logical to do one side only), replacing the one wheel, changing out that wheels studs, repacking both front bearings (and if sealed bearings they'll inspect both), will complete a FE alignment, and have Front End guy inspecting other items like sway bar, ball joints, etc. to make sure the force of the impact on the rotor didnt do any additional damage to other components.
Since I understand this was a careless mistake & in no way malicious, I'm pretty pleased with the response and concern, and certainly not looking to take advantage of anyone - just want the Van to be "right".
Am I missing something???? Not a mechanic so soliciting advise - should I be requesting anything not listed above?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Wow. I am glad the manager is going all out to make it right. I surely wouldn't want to be the mechanic who forgot to torque down those lugs though!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Guess you will continue to use them right? I mean with that kind of attention (fear) for the customer to make it right (and not sue...these days eh?!)...Glad you weren't on the HWY or making a sharp turn! Nice rig!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

A mere block away, seems like no lug nuts were even installed. Ugh.
Glad you and the rig are ok and they are stepping up to remedy this.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Team

What everyone else has said...bad mistake and the dealership knows it, and they seem to be doing all the right things. I can't think of much else except to inspect the rim.

For a much more definitive answer try to get CarringB to weigh in.

Herb
Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
What everyone else has said...bad mistake and the dealership knows it, and they seem to be doing all the right things. I can't think of much else except to inspect the rim.

For a much more definitive answer try to get CarringB to weigh in.

Herb
Yeh, it was an experience...for just an instant I felt very embarrassed that one wheel was traveling faster (and seemingly under its own power) than the 'beefy" van it was intended to service.
They are certainly making every effort remedy the mistake - they already replaced the wheel - the holes were chewed-up from the lug threads...retraced my travel about 1/2hr after incident and was only able to locate two studs.
Odd thing is the front end never felt awkward (or wobbled) in the short distance I traveled in the Van - and I even made one right turn about 1/2 through the distance.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Garage
Like everyone else has said, bad mistake and it is great the dealership is stepping up. Sounds like they are doing what is needed.

I'd want to see the actual alignment results. Definitely want to inspect all steering and suspension components.

Test drive after would be important to me.

I don't know what if any stress to the axle this might have caused.

Maybe something in writing to cover repairs if something becomes a problem with the steering, suspension, axle on that side if they would be willing.

For me, I'm never leaving a shop without checking my wheels if they were removed for some reason. Too many stories...
Old 12-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
For me, I'm never leaving a shop without checking my wheels if they were removed for some reason. Too many stories...
Damn, this just keeps happening again and again. It's why I now carry a torque wrench and check the lugs a couple times after a wheel has been off. Glad you wern't hurt.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Zero body damage??? Nice!! didn't even take out the bushwacker.....

The rest is straightforward to inspect/fix.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

I wonder why they took off your wheel for an oil change.... Does the 4x4 make something hard to reach with wheel on? Sorry, I own a 2wd.