Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #1

Frozen lines create water pressurizing problem

Ok, on the way to Denver the lines froze one night despite having the forced air heater on. No leaks, but now when I turn on the pump the system pressurizes and then there is a hiss under the sink and as the hiss dies, the pump runs again.

The hiss is not audible from outside and I can feel the water bubbling in the cold water line under the sink.

The cold water line from the faucet comes down to a T connection. This T comes back into the van and out to the City Water connection, only as the line goes out to the CW connection right behind the panel wall SMB put in, there is another T and a water line going straight up. I believe this line is what is hissing.

There is no water after a 1/2 hour of monkeying with it, and despite ensuring all connections (except the mystery "up" pipe) are full of water, I still get only an air hiss and no moisture.

It's a 50 package in an EB, the mystery line parallels the cold water only inside the wall. To get in there I either have to cut an access panel or take out the whole works.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Is the van still frozen? If so how about warming up the pipes with a heat gun set to low?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #3

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re: Frozen lines create water pressurizing problem

If you can see the leak and it is small, you might try a aerosol sealer for a temp fix. Otherwise you need to open/fix

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/ ... y=55119201

I have a leak in the supply line to the shower. I get the same symptoms as u. I'll have a big project to pull the shower and fix it. The leak goes out the rear fender drain, so it does not both me too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Ok, on the way to Denver the lines froze one night despite having the forced air heater on. No leaks, but now when I turn on the pump the system pressurizes and then there is a hiss under the sink and as the hiss dies, the pump runs again.

The hiss is not audible from outside and I can feel the water bubbling in the cold water line under the sink.

The cold water line from the faucet comes down to a T connection. This T comes back into the van and out to the City Water connection, only as the line goes out to the CW connection right behind the panel wall SMB put in, there is another T and a water line going straight up. I believe this line is what is hissing.

There is no water after a 1/2 hour of monkeying with it, and despite ensuring all connections (except the mystery "up" pipe) are full of water, I still get only an air hiss and no moisture.

It's a 50 package in an EB, the mystery line parallels the cold water only inside the wall. To get in there I either have to cut an access panel or take out the whole works.

Any thoughts?

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

They're not still frozen.

As far as patching, I can't even see for sure where the line goes inside the wall or why (where) it's leaking air.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
BC

Same issue

jage, so glad to see this post as I have just encountered almost the precise situation for the first time. I do actually have water now, but have the exact pump cycle condition you describe. Will do some more testing and checking but very interested to see what else you discover. Cant believe it would require tearing into the wall....yikes.

So my pipes froze for the first time New Years Day. I tried warming the van but it took a day or so for temps to rise for them to clear. I checked for leaks in and around and under the van but dont see any obvious water coming out anywhere, yet.

So I have water flowing now, but the pump cycles on and off every few seconds (pump on, water spigot off). I had a similar condition once before when the fill valve at the tank went bad and allowed air in, but cant see where the air or any leaks are getting in the system now.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

Tear into the wall? Oh, no, after YOU, I insist.

I'll probably go to the rally like this since I can get the water to flow. I have no idea how the piping goes once it gets into the wall. I had thought it was a bad city water fill but I can't hear the hiss or anything from outside the van.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Tear into the wall? Oh, no, after YOU, I insist.

I'll probably go to the rally like this since I can get the water to flow. I have no idea how the piping goes once it gets into the wall. I had thought it was a bad city water fill but I can't hear the hiss or anything from outside the van.
Sounds like a great Rally technical session: "Stand Around Dringking Beers by Firelight, Offering Unsolicited Advice while Jage Tears Apart his Plumbing".

Herb
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #8

Garage
I'll drink to that.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #9

My roomate wants to bring a full bar and im great at offering unsolicited advice so this sounds like a great project!
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
BC

well, there's always the drip system alternative, just put a big 5 gallon jug on the roof, run a line down through the window. pressure? Who needs pressure?
BC is offline   Reply With Quote