Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fulltiming in a Sportsmobile?

Not good and I'm sorry to hear that you lost your rig. What is the insurance going to kick in. Maybe it will be enough for a new one?

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #12

Sold my house in 2006 and have been living out of various vans ever since. Two different SMBs and a Toyota Hi Ace in Australia for a year. When I do not go south for the winter I usually rent a house or condo during ski season as I find the van to be a bit small for full time winter living. This winter is still up in the air, Mexico or skiing? Kind of depends on the sale of my current SMB.

TM
Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #13

I lived fulltime in my van while I was between homes. Had no problems even when it came to working 40 hours a week. Spent more time keeping clean though because I was having to go to 24 hour fitness to shower and get ready for work everyday. Usually parked on the street or near the beach. In 2 months I didn't get woken up or asked to move even once. That being said I was in a large city of 1.5 mil people. Parked on the street in residential areas. The key thing is parking and then getting out and going for a walk. If anybody is watching, they see someone park and then go down the street. They usually are gone by the time you come back 5 minutes later and jump into your van. Put up a curtain across the front and across all your windows. Make sure if you have a light on inside that you cannot see it from outside or at least make sure its not noticeable. Never put my penthouse top up though. Always just slept on the gaucho bed. Another thing to keep on hand though is a bucket in case you have to go to the bathroom. Yeah, trees work. But sometimes peeing on a tree in someones front yard is not worth the trouble. Just get some plastic trash bags to line the bucket, let rip, then seal the bag and drop into a trash bin somewhere whenever you can.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #14

My girlfriend and I moved into our sportsmobile March 30th, and it has been nothing but pure fun. Started in Salt Lake, but made our way to Kentucky for rockclimbing. Will be in the Van for at least another year.
ecchastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
Site Team

Not in an SMB, though I bet he wishes it was an SMB. Olympic hopeful spent five months living in a truck while training for the Winter Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/outside-th ... ylv=3?vp=1

Herb
Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #16

in the 18 months since I bought my 03 van My girlfriend and I have spent about 12 of them in the van. Everglades to South East AK and a whole lot of places between. When were not in the van we are in tents leading backcountry hiking/fishing trips.
LFFE is offline   Reply With Quote