Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi View Post
2001 4x4 E350 RB 7.3L 4.10 pop top on 33s, 9,500 lbs. We recently completed a drive through the Americas, just under 4 years, and averaged 14.68 miles per US gallon over the 56,600 mile trip. That includes crossing the Andes almost a dozen times, 16,000 feet being the highest pass, with approximately 30% of our miles on dirt or rocky tracks. During one year we never broke 45 miles per hour, 30mph being our estimated average (our gps died so we don’t have the actual figure). Compared to friends in gas Econolines, we didn’t require 4x4 as much as they did for ascents...something to consider.
I have heard a lot of "concern" over driving a diesel into south america due to poorer quality or US diesel engines not handling it at well or something .... did you have any issues with your rig? any issue finding diesel stations?

renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #22

Gas mileage is not a factor in choosing this kind of van. Be happy that the US auto makers learned how to put a vehicle together in the 1990s, get behind the wheel and drive to wherever. When at the pump, do not look at the numbers as they whiz by. When the pump clicks off do not reach for the receipt. Just turn your head, get back in the drivers' seat, start the engine and be glad you are on your way. If money is a factor you can always cut back on the food.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #23

6.0 Diesel with a high roof and rack. Consistent highway mileage averages 17-18.

I drive it like an old man...no hurry...stick to the slow lanes.

If I am in a hurry ...I’ll pick up the speed to 75-80mph and get 13-14 mpg.

A lot of it depends on how you drive it. I have a scanguage II that tells me my mpg and avg mpg all the time. I’ve got 20mpg when there’s more traffic and I am forced to drive 55mph on crowded So Cal freeways.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #24

2001 Quigley 4WD Chevrolet 3500 Express ATF Bomber Van 8.1 litre (496 CI) 4L80 Transmission with 4.10 gears.

13-14 MPG on road @ 75 MPH.

11-12 MPG in town.

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #25

2015 4-cyl Sprinter with Penthouse, 144 wheelbase = 22 to 27mpg on current trip, average about 24 mpg.
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #26

I have a 2013 Econoline SMB and average around 9 mpg. I did get 13 on one tank but that was driving around Yellowstone where the speed limit is 45 mph. Speed kills the mileage on the lifted Ford Econolines.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
I have heard a lot of "concern" over driving a diesel into south america due to poorer quality or US diesel engines not handling it at well or something .... did you have any issues with your rig? any issue finding diesel stations?
We did get a couple tanks of questionable diesel, friends did with gasoline too, nothing to worry about after figuring it out. We have European friends that drove a Euro 5 diesel through Africa then South America heading north to the US. They are in Mexico now, 5 years on the road and their Iveco is running fine. Adding a water separator is recommended and purchasing diesel from big stations helps ensure good quality fuel. We have a 46 gallon tank, overkill but handy, so we were choosy as to where to fill up.

On availability, once we crossed into Mexico, diesel vehicles out numbered gasoline ones by a respectable margin. Also, trucks deliver goods worldwide so finding fuel was easy. Stations are spaced about 200 miles apart, the range of the average sedan, we only had to carefully plan multi day or long remote excursions. One thing we should of done was install an Espar diesel heater. Camping above 14,000 feet in the Andes was a bit cold, near 16,000 wasn’t the most comfortable. Our down sleeping bags and not popping up were our best defense. Friends in a pop top Troopy with an Espar were cozy popped. They were afraid to sleep with it running so we were warmer than they were by morning. We carried a propane heater but only used it twice, both times in the US. By the time we reached the high Andes we were mostly acclimatized and idled the van before bed to get the engine warm and to run the heat to take the chill out. We never used anti gel and spent the South American winter between 7,000 and 16,000 feet. Our Iwatani butane stove always worked, it’s one of our favorite pieces of gear. The fancy expensive Partner Steel stove didn’t come out much after we crossed into Mexico, go figure, so we can’t comment on its performance at altitude.

If you are thinking of taking the drive, feel free to ask us any questions.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi View Post
We did get a couple tanks of questionable diesel, friends did with gasoline too, nothing to worry about after figuring it out. We have European friends that drove a Euro 5 diesel through Africa then South America heading north to the US. They are in Mexico now, 5 years on the road and their Iveco is running fine. Adding a water separator is recommended and purchasing diesel from big stations helps ensure good quality fuel. We have a 46 gallon tank, overkill but handy, so we were choosy as to where to fill up.

On availability, once we crossed into Mexico, diesel vehicles out numbered gasoline ones by a respectable margin. Also, trucks deliver goods worldwide so finding fuel was easy. Stations are spaced about 200 miles apart, the range of the average sedan, we only had to carefully plan multi day or long remote excursions. One thing we should of done was install an Espar diesel heater. Camping above 14,000 feet in the Andes was a bit cold, near 16,000 wasn’t the most comfortable. Our down sleeping bags and not popping up were our best defense. Friends in a pop top Troopy with an Espar were cozy popped. They were afraid to sleep with it running so we were warmer than they were by morning. We carried a propane heater but only used it twice, both times in the US. By the time we reached the high Andes we were mostly acclimatized and idled the van before bed to get the engine warm and to run the heat to take the chill out. We never used anti gel and spent the South American winter between 7,000 and 16,000 feet. Our Iwatani butane stove always worked, it’s one of our favorite pieces of gear. The fancy expensive Partner Steel stove didn’t come out much after we crossed into Mexico, go figure, so we can’t comment on its performance at altitude.

If you are thinking of taking the drive, feel free to ask us any questions.
Really appreciate that info. Thinking of? yes but not for a decade or more at this point (if at all). Long story that is not of direct relation to this thread so I will leave it at that vs derailing... just good to know that the 7.3 does well down there :-)
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #29

I have not driven my diesel Sprinter south of the border yet, but understand that the diesel may, at times, not meet the sulphur standards that U.S., Canada, and Mercedes recommend. Also, one person told me that it may be a tad difficult to find the BlueTec additive south of the border, so you may need to bring a supply along?
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #30

2006 Sprinter high top long body

Over the life of the vehicle, my Sportsmobile has averaged 22 mpg. It has the older 2.7 5 cyl. diesel without all the DEF fluid systems and 68K miles. I love it!
michuth is offline   Reply With Quote