Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

gas tank inlet extender?

Problem: I have two fuels tanks, but the access door is the original size, so one inlet was moved forward and one rearward of center of access door - according to Sportsmobile, this is common with their conversions. To get a good seal on the rear inlet pipe I usually have to twist the nozzle a bit. This has not been much of a problem, until the other day when I used a new gas pump nozzle at a Shell station. The sleeve that holds the sealing gasket on the nozzle slipped in too far and got stuck in my rear inlet pipe. I had to have the hose disconnected and take the van to my mechanic to get the nozzle free. When I returned the nozzle to the gas station the manager had an extender that she found it on the ground. It probably would have solved the problem of the acute angle of insert but it did not fit my inlet pipe. I have looked online and called numerous companies and no one knows what I am talking about. Anyone out there have a similar problem and/or know where I can find an extender to fit my van?

kahvisride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Re: gas tank inlet extender?

I can't solve your problem but I can tell you you aren't alone. My van came with the dual fuel caps in the OEM single door as well, compliments of Transferflow or SMB or whoever installed it. It's pretty lousy. It's just about impossible to get fuel in the thing without standing right there holding the nozzle and restarting over and over. I have since removed my rear tank due to rust but the dual setup is still in the fuel door and it's tough to get fuel in the forward tank still.

Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Thanks, I knew I couldn't be the only one! The guy I bought the van from said he (at least once) needed to reach in and push/hold the rubber seal against the gas tank inlet opening in order to avoid the constant shutting off. My advice, of course, is be careful how hard you push... because I did not feel like I forced it enough to jam it. I believe it was the combination of pushing and just the 'wrong' angle.
kahvisride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

I had this problems for years. When the price of gasoline got up to nearly $5, I was also worried about someone stealing the 56 gallons of gas from the van. So I ordered a replacement door online which is about 9" square and lockable. I marked out the size of hole that I needed with masking tape and paid a body shop to cut the hole. (They just used a Sawzal and I could have done that myself in hindsight.) Problem solved.