Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Gettin Hi

Just wondering how many use a HiLift jack with their rigs, where do they carry it and what do they pick the rig up by?

I'd like to see some pictures of what people have come up with. Is it possible to create a group photo album for HiLift images? Something everyone could contribute to.

Tom

Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

This was the set up on my rig when I bought it...The jack can be secured with a small pad lock.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #3

We have ours mounted on the front bumper too. So far, we haven't had to use it while on the road.

If you are going to have a HiLift, you should consider carrying a Hi-Lift Jack Lift-Mate (www.expeditionexchange.com/recoverygear/) since they don't work well with aftermarket bumpers and a Hi-Lift Jack Off-Road Base to keep the base from sinking in the mud. You also need to carry a chain...if you need the jack to lift a tire out of a hole, you'll need to first chain that axle to the frame or else all you're doing it lifting the body.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #4

Garage
I don't care where a Hi-Lift jack is mounted, I still don't believe that it is the right tool for the job. Has anyone here actually tried to lift a SMB, by the bumper, hi enough to get the tire off the ground? Since the bumpers are typically two to three feet off the ground already, how much more travel would be needed to lift the tire off? The 48" Hi-Lift is clearly useless here, and even the 60" would get pretty unstable at near full extension. I carry a hydraulic/air 'bottle' type axle jack that I can put right under the axle near the wheel. It works by either pumping the lever or attaching the air hose from my compressor tank, nearly effort free. Just a few inches of travel and the tire's up. And, it easily stashes in the underfloor box or anywhere else inside. I got mine from Northern Tool for around $60, including a short air hose with hand operated lever valve. I also carry a single heavy duty jackstand for security once the axle is lifted.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

I have jacked my SMB up with a hi-lift by the bumper to change a rim that cracked. I is a little on the hard side but not so difficult that I wouldn't do it again. I like the chain idea...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

I carry both types of jacks.

Definitely the bottle type for changing a tire. But the Hi-lift is nice if you are stuck and just need to lift up one tire to throw rocks under it to regain traction. For this I would use the lift mate with the Hi-lift. This would be hard to do on uneven terrain with a bottle jack.

just my $0.02

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #7

Garage
You're right, Steve.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #8

Doncha have to, like, lay in the mud to use one of those?

Tom
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

De Ja Vu http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ight=lift+jack
The high lift works just fine. I have used it several times, even in the sand. I'm not saying it's the best solution or the only solution but I have actually used it in the field on my van and it works fine.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #10

Hi Lift

I mounted mine on the spare tire rack on the back of my sportsmobile. makes a nice flag pole as well too sport you colors. Also have used mine several times, mainly to get the weight of of the tire then assisted with a small floor jack to lift the axle and and clear the tire from the ground. I usually have a (sucker) or passenger do this job do to the dangers involed. God knows some one has too drive this machine home.
lazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote