Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Getting started on purchasing a SMB

As I am looking at SMBs i thought the best way to learn about what I want is to refer to existing sales listings. The following is on the SMB site. Low miles. Moderate price. Lots of warranty. What I don't know is what's missing?
My questions:
Is the layout odd? Its all storage with a bench seat in the middle of the 'cabin'.
Is there enough water storage?
Does dinette mean 'stove'?
What exactly is a portapotti?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks. See description below. Also here is the link in case the description doesn't show up.
http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

2007 Chevy RB 2500HD Diesel 6.6L 4x4
VIN#: 1215981
Miles: 12,500
New Electric PH w/BED & Yakima Roof Rails, Front & Rear AC/Heat, Front Leather Captains Chairs, Dinette, Microwave, Sink, Refrigerator, Porta Potti, Flat Plate (Hot Water ), Exterior Shower, 20 gal Fresh water & 20 gal Grey Water Tanks, Inverter, Bench Seat/Fold Down Bed, Privacy Curtains, Pioneer Head/Alpine Amps/Boston Speakers w/ Subwoofer Custom Stereo w/Bluetooth/ CD/XM/Ipod/GPS/Navigation & Back Up Camera, AGM-4D Battery, Rear Trojan Tire Carrier, Rear Ladder, Front Rhino Brush Guard, Hella Front Flood Lights, Rear Flood Lights, Right & Left Porch Lights, Tow Package w/ Brake Controller, Bilstein Shocks, 5 Upgraded Aluminum Wheels & BF Goodrich TA's, Exterior Water & Power Hookups, Compass & Temperature Rearview Mirror, 67K MI & 7yr GM Extended Warranty(Bumper to Bumper) 100MI & 5yr Factory Engine/ Drive Train Warranty, Quigley 4WD, Rides Plush and Super Quiet, Seats 5, Sleeps 4.
$65K.

stephenmgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Re: Getting started on purchasing a SMB

No heater listed not sure if you need one. I am adding one to my SMB and a nice luxury. Also one 4D which is plenty doable but if you see yourself using it a lot for extended periods might consider adding a second battery with solar. Depending on how much off trail driving you may also consider a winch and or lockers.

Looks like this has most everything.

Porttapotti us exactly that! A portable toilet.

Dinette could refer to the galley side cabinet that hooks to the cargo door otherwise not sure what that means.

Layout is a personal choice. Rb50 is most popular.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

A "dinette" typically refers to two seats or benches facing each other, with a (removable) table in between. I think they are generously referring to the bench and front two seats as a dinette (assuming the two front seats swivel).

"Fold Down Bed" is also stretching it a little. You'd have to be pretty small to sleep on that. Alternatively, you (or SMB) could easily retrofit a gaucho (side-facing bench) in the rear, facing the galley. Then replace the existing bench with more cabinets or one or two captain's chairs.

Looks like this may have been designed to haul large amounts of portable gear, maybe bikes or motorbikes (although there are no tie downs visible). Personally, I think it's odd, but if it suits your needs, that's all that matters.

Good luck with the search.

Brent
Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #4

Thanks all for the insight.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

I'll be in the bay area (Saulsalito) for the next few days before taking a week camping trip up north. As I have never been inside one, I would love to take a look at any vans in the area. Let me know if anyone in the area can let me peek at their van.
After my trip I am Heading down to Fresno and then to LA to look at vans as well.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I just took the White House to SMB for some work, so you'll probably see it down there. Sorry didn't have time to clean it up...all the maids were on strike

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Team

I would suggest you don't buy a van based upon its price; buy a van that has the features and floor plan you want. Look at lots of pictures in the Sportsmobile used van section and the galleries on this website. Decide what you want in your van (and on the outside) and what you're willing to live without until you can add it later. Then try to find the van you want within the price range you can afford.

I bought my 2002 van used in 2009. It had the exact floor plan and features I want. It had low mileage and was in my meager price range. Then I added a lift and locking differential. I will be adding Aluminess bumpers later. Once that is done I will have the van I want.

I believe getting the right floor plan and features is the most important element as you will be using your van for a long time to come. Few things are more irritating that "settling" for less and then regretting that decision every time you are in your rig.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #8

Thanks Mac.
I'm trying not to buy strictly on price. The reason I asked about 4x4 comparisons is that I am trying to educate myself on pricing for these vans as i begin the purchase process. I want to be sure to note that two vans that are identical other than the 4x4 setup (smb/quigley), the quigley van should be approximately 4k cheaper.
Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmgleason
Thanks Mac.
I'm trying not to buy strictly on price. The reason I asked about 4x4 comparisons is that I am trying to educate myself on pricing for these vans as i begin the purchase process. I want to be sure to note that two vans that are identical other than the 4x4 setup (smb/quigley), the quigley van should be approximately 4k cheaper.
Thanks again.
Probably not. If a Quigley owner added the stuff that is found on an SMB conversion it would be priced about the same. If not, they wouldn't be equipped the same.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

You should definately look inside a van before you decide on what you actually need or want. Just EB vs RB is a big difference. Work up several plans on the the work order sheets SMB provides with things you must have, things you would like to have, and things that can be added later. Then step back and look what might be found as a used vehicle that is close. If possible rent something like a Roadtrek for a few trips and see if that's what you really like...you might get some ideas from that.

I had to resist how much fun everybody else with SMB vehicles was having before I finally decided that an SMB was for me. Of course a visit to SMB made it more difficult to resist one

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote