Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #1

good, bad or stupid idea, upfitting a pre-owned cargo van?

Hi there!
I suspect someone out that has gone through this scenario before, so I am curious as to how you proceeded or what was your final outcome.
Reason against preowned, is choice of floor plan versus customization if i were to have smb do the upfitting from a clean slate, specifically, choice of insulation, layout of certain hardwired item/appliances, etc..water tanks.fuel pump, windows, etc...

If i had the money, this wouldn't be an issue.

I am thinking along this path, purchasing a pre-owned cargo van and sending it to sportsmobile to upfit.

Good bad or stupid idea?

Only issue is not knowing the history of that vehicle and to throw 'good' money into a 'bad' van.

Appreciate your thoughts/inputs/comments and your time.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #2

Well, 3 things: you could buy already used already converted, SMB is probably the best people to ask about this, which bring us to #3 they might not be willing to upfit any used van.

When I wanted a 2nd 4D AGM and a Xantrex put in one of the first questions was "What's the year and package on your SMB?" When I answered the comment was something along the lines of "Oh, OK, I guess that would be worth putting the money into, it's new enough that it wouldn't be a wasted investment."

So there might be some kind of threshold for the van itself, not just the 4wd. Also as I go through leak top issues with them on a previously owned SMB I'd wager that any problems you have are going to be blamed on the fact that you brought them a used van in the first place. Something to consider.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #3

re: contacting sportsmobile, from my experience, sometimes they give you differenct answers, based on which sportsmobile facility you contact,

my fourth option is to buy new from smb with the major hardwares installed/upfitted as BARE minimum and than proceed with a diy project
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb4me
re: contacting sportsmobile, from my experience, sometimes they give you differenct answers, based on which sportsmobile facility you contact,

my fourth option is to buy new from smb with the major hardwares installed/upfitted as BARE minimum and than proceed with a diy project
Yes, I've had the same experience with SMB's answers. It's like dealing with two brothers and one sister running the same family business...

There's somebody around who pretty much bought the van & poptop and is outfitting it themselves... maybe two of 'em. I can't remember if it's the same guy or not.

The fifth option of course is to sell your house and mortgage any future against buying a brand new fully built SMB! Don't want to leave that option out.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #5

can't pull up roots just yet, so selling house is not an option.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

This question is frequently asked, and it’s rare that it’s worth buying the van yourself and having SMB refit it. They probably won’t in any case.

Much better to go backwards; i.e. buy a used SMB and then take out or modify parts as a DIY project.

Or have SMB make a bare bones mod (the penthouse top and maybe interior finish, for example).

Rob
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #7

Garage
Keep in mind that SMB orders vans from Ford with certain options that tie in with how they convert to 4by and other options. That includes, the rear axle ratio, limited slip rear, towing package, power seats, diesel engine, etc.