Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #1

Good deal?

Hello,
I was wondering if this is a good deal or not?
Also, what are the pros and cons of this set-up?

I'm looking to buy a Sportsmobile in the near future but don't feel knowledgable enough to gauge the prices asked for used vehicles yet.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2425980675.html

Thanks

rayandjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Re: Good deal?

Does not strike me as a great deal. Nicely equipped, but the Dodges have some limitations with respect to the unibody frame, drum rear brakes to name a couple. MOPAR parts can be a nightmare. Also, that bed needs to get cleaned or replaced!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #3

A friend of mine has a 99' Dodge SMB same floor plan. Bought it new and has had no major problems. I'm sure he has close to 150,000 miles on it.
I must say though that the interior on the one you are looking at seems to be a bit "ragged" out. They used a lot of Armour All in the cab and a ton of wax on the exterior but there is no getting rid of those stains.
With the low mileage and all those stains one would think that the only time they took it out is when they wanted to have a food fight going down the road.
Just my 2 cents. Can't help you on the price as I don't know what that model year 2wd's are going for. Check SMB's website for used pricing.

Bob in Tucson,
03' Ford Quigley 4WD V10
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

I was looking for the food fight stains and noticed in the Velvet Night for Popup curtains pic those boards on the gray section of the PH don't belong. Probably covering vinyl damage or an old mounting location. It should look like the back one- plain with 4 caps.

I wouldn't store my Fiamma brace there either, 1. it would rub windows and fabric when down (I would think) 2. I put my awning out when the top is down and not worth it to pop just to get it.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

O.K., so I'll probably be looking for a van to have Sportsmobile put a Penthouse top on and to do the inside conversion myself.
I would like to purchase a Chevy Express, somewhere in the year range of 2004-2008.

1) Is the 2500 chassis the best option for a Chevy for this conversion?

4 x 4 is not needed, we camp at California State Parks, so that is not an issue.

2) Next question is pros and cons of gas vs. diesel, any recommendations?

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around what base van to start with, other than it being a Chevy, and would like opinions.

Thanks in advance
rayandjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

have you read this?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6209

there is a ton of info if you use "chevy" as the title in the search feature

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #7

Garage

I did a lot of research on the Chevy vans although I ended up with a Ford. The Express 2500 payload is 3200 lb vs. 4200 lb for the 3500. Depending on how much stuff will go into the build, the 2500 would be maxxed out.

Chevy went to a 6-speed torqueshift transmission in about 2009 and from all reports this transmission is much superior to the older 4-speed.

As far as gas vs. diesel, this forum has a policy of not starting any new threads on that subject...