Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
larrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon Ciry Oregon
Posts: 2,737
Another possiblity is that the person driving it has no idea that it was stolen and bought a "to good to be true deal." Won't they be seriously surprised when the police come and take it.
__________________

__________________
Larrie
Read detailed trip reports, see photos and videos on my travel blog, luinil.com.
Current van: 2002 Ford E350 extended body camper with Colorado Camper Van pop top and Agile Offroad 4WD conversion.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
shenrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 2,568
Garage
congrats on getting the new rig home, but man, that's just crazy seeing the old ride. in such a populated area too. i would have never guessed youd see it again. hope they can track down the jackass who nabbed it from ya!
__________________

__________________
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
gcvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Another possiblity is that the person driving it has no idea that it was stolen and bought a "to good to be true deal." Won't they be seriously surprised when the police come and take it.
That'd make for a really fun felony stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
congrats on getting the new rig home, but man, that's just crazy seeing the old ride. in such a populated area too. i would have never guessed youd see it again. hope they can track down the jackass who nabbed it from ya!
Hypothetically...if I saw it parked somewhere in South SF, I wonder if I'd be arrested for using my old keys to "steal" it from State Farm if I turned it in at the South SF police headquarters? Hmm. Technically, State Farm owns it. That could be considered a theft, but I'd be stealing it from the thief, potentially.

I'll just let it be and enjoy my new one
__________________
Greg
Old van: 1997 E250 EB30 (Stolen)
New van: 2003 E250 EB10
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
spurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 197
A friend of mine had somewhat of the same experience with a truck. He spotted it driving down the street followed it to a dumpy hotel and called the police. The police arrived and questioned the thief, but because they didn't catch him behind the wheel they didn't arrest the guy. He got his truck back of course only to find ticket in the glove box for a DUI in the thiefs name.... That's some real police work!
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
REF
Senior Member
 
REF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO.
Posts: 2,434
Send a message via MSN to REF
That would be surreal seeing your stollen rig driving around, in the same town no less. I've been fortunate enough to only see some of my old rides I've legally SOLD driving around. To the point that was made, it may not be the ones that stole it that are driving it around now. Wonder if the po po, or insurance co. can still confiscate it, guess they can? That would suck for whoever's driving any stolen rig. I'm still amazed that you can get hot cars through the dmv to get a new title and get plates? Of course there's ways, otherwise it wouldn't pay to thief a car....
Enjoy your new "insurance replacement" rig
__________________
'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
(de)SMB'd Custom RB-50
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile Offroad's R.I.P. package
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
reelchef67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North Vancouver BC
Posts: 295
Your Dmv is the us is very different than the Canuck version. It is pretty much impossible to register and I sure a vehicle reported stolen.
Stolen vehicles here pretty much get used to commit crimes and then dumped somewhere or stripped for parts.
__________________
2002 E250 5.4 4R70W 2wd 3.5 inch lift Pleasure-Way Traverse on 16x8 with 265/75/16's
reelchef67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 10,373
Garage
Greg I don't know what you got out of the insurance company, but if it were recovered would they give it back to you if you were able to do a buy back at a reasonable price? I always figured the insurance companies get the best of the deal in the end, always leaving the client with a large out of pocket expense. I'd wonder though if they would even want to deal with the recovered van. Maybe get it on the cheap???
Did they really compensate you and replace what you really had in it?
I guess it would take a bit of a leap faith though. Most of these stolen vehicles as mentioned are parted out or the jerks run the motor to death. This is strange cause they are driving it around where it came from and it does as mentioned suggest the driver doesn't know it's stolen...or they are idiots. I'd be guessing the van might have been taken care of somewhat. I could see some thief selling it at a farmers market to some poor field worker or something similar.
__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,754
It's not registered and insured legally, if at all. But there are a billion Econolines around, easy enough to swap a vin plate from a $500 junker onto Greg's old van. Or just swap the license plates, what cop ever checks the vin?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,031
If you wanted to buy the van back, you will get first right of refusal, but the insurance company can ask what ever thay want for it. There was a recient story about someone who had their Corvette stolen, and it was recovered something like 40 years later. By then it was worth far more, but they may get it back for little or nothing.

Stolen Chevrolet Corvette found after 42 years, but could go away again | Fox News
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
gcvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Greg I don't know what you got out of the insurance company, but if it were recovered would they give it back to you if you were able to do a buy back at a reasonable price? I always figured the insurance companies get the best of the deal in the end, always leaving the client with a large out of pocket expense. I'd wonder though if they would even want to deal with the recovered van. Maybe get it on the cheap???
Did they really compensate you and replace what you really had in it?
I guess it would take a bit of a leap faith though. Most of these stolen vehicles as mentioned are parted out or the jerks run the motor to death. This is strange cause they are driving it around where it came from and it does as mentioned suggest the driver doesn't know it's stolen...or they are idiots. I'd be guessing the van might have been taken care of somewhat. I could see some thief selling it at a farmers market to some poor field worker or something similar.
I actually came out way ahead on the deal. I got back everything I had in the old van plus about another 75%.
__________________

__________________
Greg
Old van: 1997 E250 EB30 (Stolen)
New van: 2003 E250 EB10
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Beni

hildems
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×