Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #11

Garage
I'm really happy with Gaia for off-pavement driving. Map layers are great. I mostly use the public & private lands and the MVUM. I have it on a cheap android tablet.

Often the GAIA will be working fine, and the Garmin on our Kenwood in-dash will show us driving through nowhere.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #12

We use CoPilot running on an Android tablet. Maps are stored locally in the device so no network connection is needed. Also custom POI files can be easily loaded, e.g. campgrounds, Walmarts, breweries, etc.
Jim
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
...several different programs like Gaia, You need a map, Scenic map, Google maps and others...
I like your approach. Besides Gaia and Google maps, what other mapping apps have you found to be essential?
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #14

Has anyone tried the app "OnX OffRoad"? I have heard good things about it. But have only played with the free version. Works offline when you don't have any service.
Duginthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #15

My favorite go-to solution for off network mapping is to put my phone/tablet in airplane mode (to save battery power) and pull up the maps.me app. It continues to utilize the phone GPS and the location lock is quite reliable for me. You download the section of the world (or US) that you want to navigate and it's downloaded to your phone. It works on both iphone and android.

The maps are continuously updated by the OSM community which is people like us sending in updates. Sometimes the Garmin maps are a year behind changes. My experience is that maps.me are noticeably more current, especially for dirt roads. It also has a remarkable amount of trails so it becomes your hiking map as well. I've used it across 4 continents without a problem. It can create pins for locations (in advance or realtime), it can create breadcrumbs for documenting a trail.

If you are worried about battery life, add a battery phone case or plug into a power supply although I find that my phone will go all day unplugged in airplane mode.

If you are worried about ruggedness, get a sturdy case like an otterbox case.

I feel maps.me the best recreational mapping product in the market today. It's free so you can easily try it. If you like it, it may be worth $10 to have them get rid of the ads.

If you have a phone you may want to give it a try.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
I like your approach. Besides Gaia and Google maps, what other mapping apps have you found to be essential?
Honestly, I haven't kept up with the latest and best offerings as I find the ones I've used for years to be just fine for my needs. Of course, some of the maps have lead me down roads that have turned into nothing more than goat trails, or have been decommissioned or gated. Updated maps may be better, but I doubt they show many new roads not on my current maps. The one area I could stand to update is Baja, but when I've looked for better ones, they either don't exist, or require monthly or yearly subscriptions that I'm opposed to. You need a map, Gaia and other previously free apps now require a subscription or map purchase, but the earlier versions I have didn't so I'm quite happy to just use the ones I already have.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
ebs

GPS/Navigation

I have recently started using Gaia GPS. It's an online service with great off road maps. The application is used on your phone. It is not as robust as a true GPS, but as long as you open the map before you lose cell service, it does a great job.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #18

In my Jeep I've used California Trail Maps for the past few years. Their maps overlay into the map app, on my Apple thats GuruMapsPro. It's recording feature has helped me out when I'm going into places I haven't been before. I can always reverse course and follow my own tracks back to known area.

Here's some of my wanderings at Ocotillo Wells this past January
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9588.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	36002

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #19

I'm another one using Gaia on an old iPad. In my Jeep I mount it using Ram mounts but in the SMB I use a cup holder based mount. I just need to remember To download any maps I will need before leaving an area where I have access to data. You also need a tablet with a GPS chip. Some don't have that.

I have just ordered a new Garmin Montana with Inreach for emergencies as well as hiking/biking trips.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #20

X2 the Maps.me mention. I find it more useful in more circumstances than a number of the others I have tried (incl. Gaia GPS subscription). It even worked remarkably well in Cuba last February. I will say some hardcore off-roaders I met in S. Idaho were all about OnX Offroad app.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, navigation