Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #21

Garage
I wonder if it similar to what member sbgrimm posted on another thread - I found his suggestion very interesting and simple, it's located on page 11 post #108:

Today I installed the Cyclops "Theft Avoidance Module". It's simply a relay that replaces your existing starter, fuel pump, or PCM relay and activates the relay only after you press a button on the supplied key fob. No wiring or splicing required. I replaced the PCM relay so that the starter still engages and sounds like it's trying to start. Very simple, reasonably priced at $150, and effective. I'll also use The Club on my steering wheel as a visual deterrent and additional level of protection. Next I'd like to install a Jimmyjammer or similar to deter break in.
https://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/

This was the Thread he posted on:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...mic-29303.html

Old 11-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #22

How are you folks using airtag planning to avoid Apple’s anti-stalking features? It seems like the thief will get an alert on their phone, which will lead them right to your airtag so they can throw it out the window.

From Apple’s site:
AirTag is also designed with a set of proactive features that discourage unwanted tracking, an industry first. Bluetooth signal identifiers transmitted by AirTag rotate frequently to prevent unwanted location tracking. iOS devices can also detect an AirTag that isn’t with its owner, and notify the user if an unknown AirTag is seen to be traveling with them from place to place over time. And even if users don’t have an iOS device, an AirTag separated from its owner for an extended period of time will play a sound when moved to draw attention to it. If a user detects an unknown AirTag, they can tap it with their iPhone or NFC-capable device and instructions will guide them to disable the unknown AirTag.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...oduces-airtag/
Old 11-03-2021, 03:11 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I wonder if it similar to what member sbgrimm posted on another thread - I found his suggestion very interesting and simple, it's located on page 11 post #108:

Today I installed the Cyclops "Theft Avoidance Module". It's simply a relay that replaces your existing starter, fuel pump, or PCM relay and activates the relay only after you press a button on the supplied key fob. No wiring or splicing required. I replaced the PCM relay so that the starter still engages and sounds like it's trying to start. Very simple, reasonably priced at $150, and effective. I'll also use The Club on my steering wheel as a visual deterrent and additional level of protection. Next I'd like to install a Jimmyjammer or similar to deter break in.

I just received mine yesterday. Easy purchase and reasonable shipping time. Van is being serviced so it will be a week or so before I can install. Will report back on the other thread.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post

I had installed the Cyclops in our 7.3 a month or so ago as I thought it was a great compromise between price and security. On our first trip with it installed, the vacuum pump went out and we had to drop it off at a shop in order to get back on the road. I informed them of the Cyclops, how it worked, and that if they didn't unarm it, the van would just turn over endlessly without firing. They called later saying they couldn't get the van started and that they had tracked it down to a burnt out relay and they had replaced it with a new one. I reminded them of the fact that that was the security system I had told them about and they said they would look back into it. They called back later and said that they had disarmed the system before attempting to start it, but I have no way of knowing if this is actually true.
Did they just sit there trying to crank it forever because they ignored my instructions and ended up eventually putting enough heat through the Cyclops relay to toast it? Is the Cyclops relay just more prone to failure? I guess I'll never know, but I would keep a spare somewhere secure in the van just in case. It had only been installed for a couple days and a couple short day trips before it failed. Before installing the relay, I checked to make sure it was rated to the same voltages as the OEM one and it all checked out, however there is a missing prong on the Cyclops version, but I don't know if that made the difference.
I haven't reached out to them to see if they sell just a replacement relay, but just wanted to share my experience with the product.
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #25
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
How are you folks using airtag planning to avoid Apple’s anti-stalking features? It seems like the thief will get an alert on their phone, which will lead them right to your airtag so they can throw it out the window.

That's a concern, but in my experience the AirTag takes a few days to alert on that. (You can test this yourself with a new, unactivated one.) If you wanted to go the extra mile you could try taking it apart and disabling the speaker coil, which acts directly on the casing instead of having its own speaker cone.
I also feel like it'd take a pretty dumb thief to bring a powered-on smartphone with them on a crime, but a lot of thieves are pretty dumb.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
That's a concern, but in my experience the AirTag takes a few days to alert on that. (You can test this yourself with a new, unactivated one.) If you wanted to go the extra mile you could try taking it apart and disabling the speaker coil, which acts directly on the casing instead of having its own speaker cone.
I also feel like it'd take a pretty dumb thief to bring a powered-on smartphone with them on a crime, but a lot of thieves are pretty dumb.
That’s a good point on the time delay. I suppose it can’t hurt as one more layer to help with recovery if it comes to that.

The video I posted in the “epidemic” thread from Arctic Traveler clearly shows a thief with a phone, so no-doubt they take their phones on the job with them.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Is it possible to disable the speaker?

Thankfully, almost all thieves take their phones with them when they commit crime. It's actually rare that they leave them at home or even turn them off.
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:37 AM   #28

FYI, it looks like Apple has reduced the three day anti-stalking delay down to 8 hours.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/03...io_source=true
Old 11-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
I had installed the Cyclops in our 7.3 a month or so ago as I thought it was a great compromise between price and security. On our first trip with it installed, the vacuum pump went out and we had to drop it off at a shop in order to get back on the road. I informed them of the Cyclops, how it worked, and that if they didn't unarm it, the van would just turn over endlessly without firing. They called later saying they couldn't get the van started and that they had tracked it down to a burnt out relay and they had replaced it with a new one. I reminded them of the fact that that was the security system I had told them about and they said they would look back into it. They called back later and said that they had disarmed the system before attempting to start it, but I have no way of knowing if this is actually true.
Did they just sit there trying to crank it forever because they ignored my instructions and ended up eventually putting enough heat through the Cyclops relay to toast it? Is the Cyclops relay just more prone to failure? I guess I'll never know, but I would keep a spare somewhere secure in the van just in case. It had only been installed for a couple days and a couple short day trips before it failed. Before installing the relay, I checked to make sure it was rated to the same voltages as the OEM one and it all checked out, however there is a missing prong on the Cyclops version, but I don't know if that made the difference.
I haven't reached out to them to see if they sell just a replacement relay, but just wanted to share my experience with the product.

That is indeed a concerning scenario. It looks like a plug n play product - remove existing relay and insert Cyclops relay? If the Cyclops relay fails can you merely replace the stock relay and be on your way?

It looks like they send you two remote controllers? That's comforting in case on of those fails.

Thanks for posting,
Dave
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
Which relay had failed--the OEM or Cyclops replacement? What was their charge and did they present the failed part to you as proof?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote