Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Gray water valve broken off. What to do?

On a recent outing in northern Utah I mistakenly followed Google directions and ended up on a "road" that our 1994 SMB had no business being on. It took us about a hour to get the van turned around and out of there. Besides some scratches and dings, I thought all was ok and considered myself lucky to get the rig home in one piece. Today I went to the car wash and got down to dump our gray water, only to discover that our complete gray water mechanism was gone...valve, support, spigot, gone! Photo is below. Before I head down the internet rabbit hole, I'm guessing that I'm not the first guy to be that stupid to take a old van down a 4 wheel drive goat track and snap off parts. Wondering if anyone has ideas of how I should approach repairing it? ID of the drain pipe is 1 1/2", but was broken off so remnants of the original are in the way. I'm guessing that some type of adapter will be needed. As always, many thanks for your thoughts and assistance. At 165K, Harvey (our van) still has some life left in it and I'd like to come up with a fix other than a bucket underneath if it's possible.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200812_151600541.jpg  

harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #2

Garage
I had the same thing happen to me, only it was during the van's first road trip at the hands of a "road gator" (semi truck's blown-out tire carcass).

It looks like you may have enough material to put a new elbow on there just after the flange that comes out of the tank. If you've got an inch of pipe left, that will be enough to add it. All you need to do is cut the elbow off, leaving as much material on the vehicle as possible. You'll have to clean up the stub as well as you can and then glue the new parts on. Let me know if you've got any questions.

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the idea. I'll crawl back under and see if I have enough. There appears to be some kind of adapter from the tank, but if I can make a clean cut, I can do what you suggest.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Are you planning to replace the original 1-1/2” slide valve in kind? If so, I suggest you consider reducing the size. My original valve suffered much the same fate and I replaced it with a much smaller 3/4” ball valve (with common hose threads on the discharge end) that tucks up out of the way and that does the job of draining the grey water just fine.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #5

Considering how you use the vehicle i would not glue the new elbow to whats left of the pipe attached to your tank. The next time you may not be so lucky and it will fracture your tank as well.

They make rubber sleeves in those larger diameters for the very purpose of attaching sewer drain pipes to the tank. You get the proper diameter rubber sleeve, slide one end over the existing pipe remaining in your tank, you then slip large hose clamps over the sleeve, insert your new pieces of pipe in the other end of the sleeve, and then tighten the clamps securely. Then next time it happens with any luck, it simply causes the clamped hose to seperate from the tank verus busting everything apart or busting your holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubber-Pipe-Coupler-Installed.jpg   Untitled.jpg  
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:57 PM   #6

Also side notes to keep in mind if you arent already aware. Black sewer pipes and elbows are made of ABS plastic not PVC. PVC pipe has thicker walls than ABS plastic pipe. With that said never use PVC pipe to repair an RV sewer drain pipe. As you experienced here, if it had been PVC pipe it would not have snapped like the ABS plastic did, it would have broken your tank as well. Also note that ABS plastic requires a different glue type than PVC pipe.

You can get black pipe, glue, and the rubber sleeves at any RV parts supplier.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #7

Good idea ^^^. The rubber couplings are more commonly referred to as Fernco couplings. That's what most plumbing guys will know them as in my experience. Lowe's/Home Depot or the like will probably have what you need.

For gray water I'd try this first. If it were black water I'd probably replace the tank.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #8

All great ideas. Headed to Home Depot today to look for the coupling. Many thanks to all who contributed. I don't come to the forum much, been so far all advise I've received over the years has been spot on. For a not so handy handyman like me, you've been a lifesaver. And to "Chinook", I don't plan on ever doing that again. When the wife says "maybe we shouldn't go down that road", I need to listen.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #9

LOL, things happen, good luck and happy trails.