Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Great Customer Service

I had posted here 6 or so months ago about having trouble filling my 46 gallon TransferFlow gas tank. When filling, it would click off and blow gas out the filler neck, sometimes several times during the filling process. I had a sales meeting in Chico CA three weeks ago. TransferFlow is in Chico. I called Rocky Gaines to see if they could take a look at it. He said that they could. Salem Kroger had installed the tank originally. The service tech found that a vent was not installed properly and a couple other issues. The issues were corrected and it fills perfectly now. Even the gas guage works properly now. I contacted Craig at Salem Kroger and they re funded the costs that I paid TransferFlow. I am very pleased with the outcome and how both companies handled the situation.
Not to make excuses for the original install, but when S-K was doing my van, Transferflow was out of stock on the tanks so they finished my van with the original tank still in it, but cut down to 27 gallons or so. I was at S-K at 2:00 on a Friday afternoon to pick up the van. When I heard about the tank, I asked them to call Transferflow to see if the inventory had changed. They now had two in stock. S-K sent a truck down to pick up a tank. The guys worked until 8:00 installing the tank and somewhere in the install a couple things got slightly glitched. Everything that S-K did to my van has worked flawlessly with the exception of the fuel tank which is now fixed. I've filled it twice since the fix was done and it has filled perfectly. The customer service that I received from both companies was first rate. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Re: Great Customer Service

That's awesome! Much more than i can say for Aero Tanks!!
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Can you provide details about correct vs. incorrect vent installation? I would love to get rid of the filling problems with my van.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

Sorry but I can't. Rocky at TransferFlow didn't elaborate except to say that there was something amiss in the venting. I can tell you that I have loved every detail of our van except filling it. I used to hate to get gas. Now it is no issue. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Can you provide details about correct vs. incorrect vent installation? I would love to get rid of the filling problems with my van.
You could ask SMBW about it, they seem to know about the vent for the tank.

Alternately, you can drop the tank (I think the above option requires dropping the tank also) and pull out the fuel pump. The pump has a vent pipe that drops about 4" down into the tank. When the fuel level hits that vent, fuel shoot up the vent and shuts off the station pump. You can drill a hole/hacksaw a slot/Dremel a slot/etc. about 1" down to allow the tank to fill much higher than the long vent pipe allows. It doesn't take a big hole, all you need to pass is air. Because the T-F tank is larger, 1" down on the vent is the same amount of expansion space as 4" down on the stock tank.

Salem-Kroger did mine, took about an hour to drop, drill a 1/4" hole and re-install the tank. Problem solved.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #6

Jage -- I suspect this isn't useful to you as I've posted here about it before, but here's the story on what I had done to get my Transfer Flow tank to finally fill right:

Transfer Flow Gas Tank

-- Geoff