Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #1

GTRV ?

I know this site is dedicated to Sportsmobiles, but does anyone have a GTRV?
Would like to know some info on them from an owner or someone that has
experience with one. Thank you.

BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

Re: GTRV ?

I have a GTRV. Love it. The guy who does the work out of Richmond B.C. is Roy. He does top notch work and is very customer focussed. Mine was a custom and Roy matched my vision perfectly. I have nothing but kudos for them.

Some pictures in my album.
Jepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

We also have a GTRV, built by Roy in mid-2009. His son, Bryan, has now taken over the operations in Richmond, BC. I've yet to talk to Bryan yet; I can only assume that the quality of work is still excellent.

Mike Reed, the long-time US Sales rep for GTRV has recently opened a second manufacturing location somewhere in California. There is one recent poster here who questions some of the quality from that shop - search for "Big Baby".

Anyway, here is a thread detailing our GTRV:
GTRV Conversion on a Ford E350 EB

And a few others discussing the GTRV top:
Wanting to see or get info on GTRV V/T Top
Other Penthouse Roof Manufacturers??

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Hello,

I have a GTRV as well. The conversion was done last spring by Roy and his crew in Richmond and I was very happy with the quality of the work. I had some additional work done by Bryan this summer and had a good look at a conversion that was in progress in the shop - it's seems to me that the quality is still at a high standard.

cheers, Ian
MonsoonPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Uh, unfortunately, I seem to be the poster child for the new split/GTRV situation between Canada and the US!!!!

VWteleman and others were over-the-top in their help.....incredibly helpful, here and on other sites, for me to be enthusiastic about going with this company. As I said before, if I did it over again, I would go with the Canada operation, ("IF" ...and big IF,....that worked with taxes and import problems,etc). Also, I do believe, as everyone has said, that Roy was sensational, and that his son will keep that tradition going.

However, there are a lot of bugs to be worked out in the California operation...sigh....

....none of which have to do with whether the US operation involves really good people....b/c I think it does, but, more of which seem to involve expertise, communication or maybe just having thought this whole thing through and attention to detail combined with pride of work and ownership.....etc..

The good news is they have a good design and product overall, the other good news is that I would like to contribute in helping anyone interested in the US split of the operation, to know what to do and what to ask for and be involved in. The bad news is that to go with the US operation, I think you really need to be nearby, or able to go there more frequently than I could, to make sure things are moving along as you expect. Or, it also would help to have your own tenacity to "bird dog" the stuff you are wanting to be done or to have the expertise to specifically identify exactly certain parts of the process of the build that you could do yourself or not ....just saying!..
scamperbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #6

I have an 2005 GTRV with Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion, with 112,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream, use it in the mtns for snowboarding and on beaches for kayaking
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote